*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. DragonRM

DragonRM Newbie

Reputations:
    I know there’s some bios issues that exist too with some of the factory overclocking being compatible. More what my question was for. The FE cards are 50+% more expensive right now than many of the others so I wanted to make sure I got one that’d work.

2. DragonRM

DragonRM Newbie

Reputations:
  3. Justin Shidell

Justin Shidell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know there's been a lot of headache in getting the AGA to work with newer GPUs (RTX 3000 and RX 6000); a lot of people have found resolution with Nvidia GPUs by using the latest drivers from Nvidia, which solved the resource conflict issue they were having. However, some are still having problems with "Code 12" and "Code 31" issues, where they connect the AGA but their GPU isn't showing up in the Device Manager—they see a device error for a PCI(e) Device (Root Complex) or for the GPU itself.

I had the same problem (Code 12) with the Area 51M R2 I just bought.

In trying to find resolution, I found this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...nt/error-attach-pci-express-expansion-chassis

In my instance, 200 fixes the Device Manager issues. Notably, here are the steps I followed to fix it:
    1. Connect the AGA with the GPU inserted and power on (as normal), encountering the error state (Code 12 or 31 in Device Manager)
    2. Open the Registry (via RegEdit.exe) and make the change cited in the article linked above, again using 200
    3. Reboot
    4. Upon reloading Windows, the Device Manager had detected my 6900 XT, but had a new device present which required drivers—either run Windows Updates or install the latest Intel chipset drivers via their Chipset INF package
    5. Reboot
    6. Voila, the PCIe Root Complex bridge(s) are enumerated properly, as is the 6900 XT, and working properly.
    I asked another user with a different model (M17 R4) to follow the same steps to help resolve the same issue, which he followed here: https://github.com/Shidell/OpenCaldera/issues/6 with success.

Between this change (and Nvidia's updated drivers), I believe all GPUs are compatible with all models of Alienware systems with AGA ports now, and I've reached out to others on reddit who expressed issues here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/...xploring_adding_unofficial/gy4vb14/?context=3 to try to (hopefully) help them (and see how many people these fixes will work for.)

4. Juan Phoenix

Juan Phoenix Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From drivers 465.89 upwards the Nvidia 3000 series works without any problems or tricks in AGA. AMD 6000 I know some cards work fine and some don't, but I don't know much about the AMD situation....

5. Justin Shidell

Justin Shidell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Generally speaking, the RX 6000 series has worked on a lot of systems. The RTX cards did not (until Nvidia fixed their drivers), as you said.

Both RX and RTX users have faced issues with Code 12 and Code 31, though, which is a separate issue from Nvidia's drivers—and for those users, these Registry changes (appear) to resolve the problem.

Some users don't experience the Code 12 or 31 issue at all, so (with an RX 6000 card), they were good to go from the beginning. With RTX cards, those users needed Nvidia to fix their drivers.

But for others who face Code 12 or 31 (or both), hopefully this fixes it for them.

As far as I know, with this fix, all GPUs from all vendors should work on all Alienware systems.

Gumwars and Juan Phoenix like this.
  6. DragonRM

DragonRM Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed to snag a good deal on a 2080 super. Will hopefully hold me over until I’m ready to buy or build :) now that some parts aside from video cards are becoming more available that may be sooner than later...

7. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My son and I both have AGA so the 3xxx update is great news!

Does anyone know if there is a Iist anywhere of compatible 3 series Cards?

8. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting..so my 51m rtx2080 outperforms the 3070 in AGA by about 5-10 fps (I'm gaming at 1080p). Is that normal?

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  9. Juan Phoenix

Reputations:
    All cards are compatible, the only thing you have to observe is the size, if the card is more than two slots, the cover of the case will not close, it will work without problems of course it is only something aesthetic, and also take care of the length, I think the maximum is 11.5 inches or something like that.

10. Juan Phoenix

Reputations:
    It is not normal, to take full advantage with AGA, you must play with an external monitor, and at more than 1080p, preferably 1440p. In fact the ideal is a 1440p external monitor. For two reasons:

1- Playing with external monitor gives more fps, since the video signal does not have to go back to the internal screen.

2- Playing at 1080p wastes a lot of potential of a high-end card, it is something to do with AGA is PCIe 3.0 x4.

My laptop screen is 1440p and I tested 2080 Super and 2080 Ti, and just lost a few FPS playing at laptop 1440p monitor, with external monitor even the difference is minimal as if it were mounted on a desktop Pc.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    chewbakaats58 likes this.