*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Juan Phoenix

Juan Phoenix Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. Crazy Jay

Crazy Jay Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Juan Phoenix likes this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Good to know 3000 series now officially work with our Amplifiers. Now if only I could find a 3080 in stock.

@MogRules I've been out of the loop, but where does it state the AMP will be EOL?

4. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was mentioned by Alienware in an AMA on their Discord, as well as one of the community leads on their forums and I believe on the website it also made reference to it. It first leaked out on the Dell forums, then they confirmed it on Discord, followed by the webpage. I believe at some point the webpage said it was EOL directly. I can't even find it on the website anymore, which makes sense as they said once they sold out they wouldn't be making any more, and that was months ago.

The interesting part will be what happens down the road, since it seems like for the most part it's just the GPU drivers that allow it to work. Will 3000 truly be the last generation that work, or will someone get it working for whatever the next generation will be.

ssj92 likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    From the link from Dell support below... "The EOL (End Of Life) AGA (Alienware Graphics Amplifier) is not supported by Dell with the RTX 3080/3090 due to wattage issues. In the future, the AGA might be supported with the RTX 3070"
    AGA (Alienware Graphic Amplifier) FAQ

6. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    2019 already....damn where did the last year go....Thanks @Papusan ,I figured you would have a link to it kicking around :).

Papusan likes this.
  7. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it's any indication, Nvidia was the player that got Ampere working in the AGA. From what I understand about the AGA, it's nothing more than a PCIe bridge; if future GPUs continue to work that will be dependent on whether or not those manufacturers want to support it.

etern4l likes this.
  8. Crazy Jay

Crazy Jay Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Amen Brother :)

Gumwars likes this.
  9. DragonRM

DragonRM Newbie

Reputations:
    Just curious if anyone’s made a list of non founders edition cards in the rtx 20 series that they’ve got to work with no modification. I already know the official dell list so please don’t refer to that :) I know asus turbo cards work but just curious about any others...

10. Juan Phoenix

Juan Phoenix Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Basically the only requirement is that it must be an exact double slot, if for example its size is 2.2 slots it does not close well.