*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Suxel

Suxel Newbie

Reputations:
    So far no issues. I get about 11k in 3D Mark GPU score which is very close to standards 2080S FE 3D Mark score. It allows me.to play control with RT (but not Ultra) in 1440P@60 and the same applied to CP2077 (Ultra + Medium RT) and I couldn't be happier. Unfortunately in my case this has to suffice. I used to have MSI GE75-1066UK with 2080 Max-P but gaming on a lap (I can't play on desk, otherwise I would get a desktop) was unbearable. Using cooling pad helped but not with cooling down the internals, the hot bottom just didn't touch my legs but the whole thing became clunky and chunky which reminded me of my 4.5KG MSI GT73EVR with 1080 Max-P, which was great as long as you had a desk to place it on. 1060 is for the 5th year in a row most popular GPU on Steam Survey so I guess that 2080S will last me a while. Funnily enough on r/GamingLaptops people with 150W 3080 are getting similar 3D Mark score (for GPU). Can't complaint (for now), but I can see what you mean.

P.S. ~11k GPU score is on a loop R13<->AGA. I don't have external monitor

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  2. Justin Stuever

Justin Stuever Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is exactly right! I grabbed a used AGA and used 2080TI hybrid for a reasonable price and use it with my 34" UW AW screen. It helps to get a lot of the heat off the heatsink inside my 51m R2 10900k/2080S. Drops my CPU temps about 15C during heavy load vs using the internal 2080S.

The 30XX cards are not going to be much of an improvement in laptop form due to heat restrictions as stated. They will need better cooling and a step change in the 40XX cards, instead of just pouring the coals to them with watts.

etern4l likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not much will be changed. Going with etc 7nm or below means smaller chips (heat density will be even worse than todays re-fined 10nm). And Nvidia and AMD will continue with same TGP. How high will depends on the competitors.

etern4l likes this.
  4. Juan Phoenix

Juan Phoenix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good News!!

There is a project called "open caldera" about AGA and Nvidia 3000 series, and according to the tests, the incompatibility problem is for the Nvidia Drivers, not for the AGA hardware, but it seems that AW and NVIDIA are already aware of the problem and NVIDIA will release a driver in the near future for the 3000 series to work properly on AGA.

AW posted this in a topic on Discord:
    "If you see the Discord AMA, AW committed to working with Nvidia to get fixes out "soon."

Link on Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/...ource=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=add_comment

Virale and Gumwars like this.
  5. Anglijsk

Anglijsk Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an Alienware 17R2 and AGA The laptop won't shut down. The monitor goes out, but the backlight stays on. Sometimes the fans come on and make noise. What is your advice? :bigconfused:

6. Juan Phoenix

Reputations:
    Finally it seems that the 3000 series works on AGA normally with the new Nvidia 465.89 driver.

This is confirmed by some users on reedit and github.

I sold my 3070 and can't confirm it myself, but if someone has his AGA and a 3000 series card, he can share his experience.

I leave an image that confirms what I say:

Attached Files:

Gumwars and alaskajoel like this.
  7. lavachequifroute

lavachequifroute Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it’s work for me !!!! Good news thx

Juan Phoenix likes this.
  8. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, question for all on the Area-51m R1 + AGA. I can’t seem to fund this answer.

Can or can’t the AGA drive the internal display on the 51m R1? I find conflicting answers in Reddit that it won’t with G-sync on.

So is the answer:

A. “Yes, the AGA is capable of driving the internal display when G-Sync is off”?

OR

B. “No, the AGA is only capable of driving an external display. The internal display is always driven by the internal GPU. To make them work, G-Sync needs to be off”?

Thanks in advance boys!!!

9. kqmaverick

kqmaverick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So 15 R5 was announced and no AGA port. Not surprising since AMD Ryzen 5000 series is limited to 16 PCIE gen 3 lanes (8 for GPU and 4x2 for NVME).

10. Juan Phoenix

Reputations:
    It's because AMD doesn't have AGA support, AGA was designed with Intel in mind, it also doesn't have thunderbolt because it's also an Intel technology. It is possible that if they release a version with Intel it will have AGA port, although it is also possible that they will no longer do it, it is a coin flip.