*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I reckon the only way to definitely infer a confirmation of a new AGA from that sentence would be to pop some hallucinogen and flush it down with Dell Kool Aid - although I'm not sure since I've never tried.

They could have added the year just to point out that the product was so old it had to be EOLed ("Dude, that AGA was so 2014!"). They could also be planning to replace AGA with TB3 to eliminate the design overhead, free up space, and cut software costs, etc. Remember, the best way for Dell (and resellers like yourself) for people to upgrade their graphics is to drop 5k on a new laptop.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    FXi, Virale and Aroc like this.
  2. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Going to TB3 is a possibility, like the Razer Core...

Surely they don’t give a crap that PCI lanes would be shared... and you’re most likely right on integration/development of the port & compatibility. They can cut a lot of costs by just removing the AGA port (let alone saving the cost of producing another AGA itself that also needs to handle the AGA port, vs a TB3 port).

We’ll know soon enough what Dell is up to, but it most likely won’t be good for us.

FXi and etern4l like this.
  3. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know, I loved my X-Fi Notebook which I've used with my Precision laptop. Now I'm using X-Fi USB with my Alienware, but it's pretty bland.

Always wanted to get the Xonar Essence STX II cards, though, so if it turns out the new Radeons won't work with AGA either, I guess that's my next upgrade to at least use this thing for something.

If they do make a new one, I hope they add an extra PCI-E x1 slot above the GPU slot.

4. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I supposed you're right I don't know. It seems it would be a missed opportunity if they didn't though?

FXi, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  5. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's basically a 300$ amp. But why buy a PCIE amp when you can buy a amp made in America for 100$ and not have to deal with the AGA at all, won't have to deal with drivers and won't have to deal with ASUS support most importantly https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/

It doesn't have a analog mic port, but considering the good mics are mostly USB you won't need extra power to it. Of course its your money, I just think its a waste of space and money to not only keep the AGA but to put a expensive sound card in it

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Right. The writing has been appearing on the wall for Alienware since mid 2019. Either they ended up without someone talented to drive this brand, or they are purpusefuly working toward scaling, dumbing and/or winding it down.

Virale likes this.
  7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    2019? Try 2013/2014

etern4l and Papusan like this.
  8. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Different strokes, I guess. It's not a big waste as I bought a used AMP and I'll buy a used Xonar STX II if these new graphics cards won't work in it. I wouldn't pay $300 for it.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll try my old X-Fi Extreme Music first when I have time to search for it to see if it'll give me a noticeable improvement over this USB card I remember having with X-FI Notebook.

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You could also probably solder some of those USB leads so you can have a clean look while adding additional mass storage (spin-up drives)

Also I wouldnt be surprised if someone in the community adds further support, just depends on the demand I suppose and if someone capable is willing to put in the effort.

10. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That would be cool, like a giant NAS you have to do-it-yourself but this one has a alien logo and a bigger cable with no bays lol. Don't ask Dell if they are looking into that, they will say they haven't talked at all about it ;).
    Ok but could you imagine starting a rumor they were doing this. That dude Chris would be all in my DM playing Dell-interrogator again.

etern4l likes this.