*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sample size 1, countered by @Papusan 's example below.

That would also be my assumption about TB3 - only a small performance hit when used with an external monitor, unless there is significant amount of I/O involved in this benchmark. Hence the question to someone who actually knows: is there a well known performance delta in TimeSpy scores between AGA and TB3, let's say using previous gen GPUs like 2080Ti?

2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here's someone posting TB3 results with 2080Ti, but no photos so not sure if its graphics or performance score:

"Just stumbled across this, but just ran benchmarks on my 2080Ti FE and figured I could share. A "general" rule of thumb, is you will lose anywhere from 10-30% of the total performance of the card by using Thunderbolt 3, as opposed to it being setup in an actual desktop. Ran benchmarks, and the 2080ti connected to an external display, gives me roughly 2080 performance.

• 9086 TimeSpy3DMark ~10% Loss - When the card is hooked up to an external display
    • 7328 TimeSpy3DMark ~20% Loss - When the card's display is piped back to your internal display."

https://amp.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/98w90s/worth_getting_gtx_2080ti_for_egpu/

Here's Alienware AGA with 2080Ti on 17R4:

https://imgur.com/4ndqP49

So, since the TB3 owner says it's roughly 2080 performance (which seems to have around 10k of Graphics score anyway), it might indicate that it's 13k vs 10k Graphics score in TimeSpy for AGA vs TB3 which would roughly align with the expected 20-25% performance hit for the TB3 eGPU.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  3. etern4l

Reputations:
    That's a kind of plausible, but still not perfect analysis. Other factors could be at play, such as TB3 implementation issues (e.g. just 2 PCie lanes used), or differences due to overclocking.
    Actually, it's not even clear what system was driving the eGPU above - surely that's a factor too.

The best way to test this would be to have both AGA and TB3 eGPU connected to the same AW system (not at the same time, but running the same video card).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    FXi likes this.
  4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

Reputations:
    Nice. Bad news for AGA & Dirt Rally fans I guess :p
    Well, hopefully Dell will resurrect AGA or it will be TB or desktops going forward - very low likelihood of profit for Dellienware in those two cases, as people will be free to pick other laptop brands and build their own desktops....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Virale likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    And the 3080 suffer as well in the same small chassis that have cooling issues.

My disappointment is immeasurable

"I waited over a month for my 3600$ (CAN) Aurora r11 with rtx 3080. I turned it on and the graphics card fried, tried to self diagnose for a day and decided I would have to call support".

Yeah, I'm sure Dell is very happy they stopped the AGA to support 3000 series cards.

jc_denton and etern4l like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    AGA, RTX 3000, news about compatibility? Dell.com
    upload_2020-11-24_20-33-21.png

Maybe a smart move:) Bad for the business push you all over on Ampere desktop cards due possible late release of new gaming-books. Boost sales of current noteboooks has 1th priority.

"We have been told that the RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 mobility GPUs will be fast-tracked to land in January 2021, however, the GPUs will initially only be available in ASUS and MSI flavors. HP, Dell, and Lenovo have reportedly decided to wait until April to support these new GPUs"

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Aroc, Virale, etern4l and 1 other person like this.
  8. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So they discussed their AGA will not support the 3000 series. They have not discussed anything about a new AGA. I guess all their discussing is going towards making the AMD 6000 series compatible, because if not that's gonna look really ****ty.

Also, he never responded to my PM when I asked about a new AGA or questioned their choice. I knew he'd hide soon as anything was asked.

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  9. etern4l

Reputations:
    Seems like the role of that particular Dell mod is to shoo people away from Alienware. Given what's apparently going on, I guess a lot of people will have zero internal discussion about supporting them with their cash in the future.

Broken dreams for a lot of fans of the brand.

Normimb, Aroc and Papusan like this.
  10. etern4l

Reputations:
    It's a mess. I'm going to take the surprisingly hard decision to unsubscribe from this depressing legacy thread. See you guys elsewhere.

#%*@ % Dell!