*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    If it's with the AWCC, then it would only be limited to newer models that were able to have RGB-per-key lighting as they changed the hardware/software (I forget which).

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Well just got the AGA + Rm550x for 100 USD

Now to find some cheap 1080 to then make into a hybrid card.

Is the power use of the onboard GPU disabled/negated when you use the AGA?

3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Don't forget that Dell sometimes add in AGA enhancements and fixes in the bios. No point in make it work if you encounter stability issues or lackluster graphics performance due the proprietary eGPU design.

etern4l likes this.
  4. rainhacker

rainhacker Newbie

Reputations:
    Here is someone running a m17 r3 with a 3080.
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15417032
    Based on the graphics score, this has to be an AGA and not a TB3 eGPU. One other thing, that I have noticed, is that it appears that it is much more difficult to get an AGA working properly with drivers since Windows version 2004.This benchmark is running 1904.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    FXi likes this.
  5. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can't confirm the integrity of this software, but this person Shidell put something on GitHub and is looking for help in trying to unofficially add support to the AGA. I have no experience with looking through open-source stuff for vulnerabilities though, so if anyone reputable can confirm its safe to allow others to help Shidell get info that would be awesome. I don't even know where I would start to do such a thing, but I know the point of GitHub is leaving everything on the table to build trust

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/jxvnga/project_opencaldera_exploring_adding_unofficial/

FXi and MogRules like this.
  6. rainhacker

rainhacker Newbie

Reputations:
    I just took a look at the code and it is doing nothing more that getting file and bios information and then displaying that on screen. I don't have any worries running it. I've been writing software for over 25 years.

FXi and MogRules like this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Very interesting, but inconclusive. Could have been a watercooled TB3 enclosure with a shunt-modded card etc. Do we know for sure that AGA is much faster than TB3 in TimeSpy when an external monitor is connected?

8. rainhacker

rainhacker Newbie

Reputations:
    All of the TB3 eGPU TimeSpy scores that I have seen with the 3080 are below 15K graphics score. Here is an XPS 17 with a 3080 and only scored ~13K... https://www.3dmark.com/spy/14140402

9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    I don't you can fit 3080 in an Intel NUC9i9QNB https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15374897

etern4l likes this.
  10. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AGA should have only a small performance hit and the Graphics score (17609) seems to reflect that here, so would be interesting to know more..

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020