*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well it wouldn’t just be a design language update I think, not a change for the sake of change... if they have learned anything it’s that the community often mod the AGA with a better PSU and/or chop pieces off to make larger cards fit, for example.

Also, they could add updated ports/interfaces to the “new” AGA too. Anyway, idk, there are things to improve/evolve the current AGA that I think would justify a redesign/refresh + my point above on “why include the AGA port in all notebooks if you’re not going to support new cards?” (...so as to have it have a point, e.g. if you can’t fit a better card into the AGA when the 3080 mobile comes out for, say, the 51m R3, why would AW bother to add the AGA port to it?).

To your point, it would make absolutely no sense to just change the plastic in the outside to make it look like the updated peripherals. My business sense considering the costs to include the AGA port, the marketing pull from including it and saying “omg AGA for future proofing”, and the lack of a redesign for the AGA in so many years, screams to me a redesign is coming and they’re killing the current version of the AGA to start and will launch a refresh soon enough.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I dont think anyone really cares about the design language, as its all moot unless its using PCIE 4.0 otherwise no one who actually knows what 3.0 is vs 4.0 will ever buy it, you would have better use lighting that money on fire as kindling to make dinner.

Virale likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, we've been talking about this for a while. Nobody knows anything, and Dell insiders stay quiet.

You say that it makes no sense, but you probably lack a lot of information about what's going on at Dell. As you noted, a lot of people use the cheap AGA to defer a multi-thousand dollar laptop update. Sounds like something that Dell might view as a negative for the business, just as they now evidently hate people upgrading RAM on their own.

I would share your view that these are vicious and seemingly nonsensical policies which means I am all but lost as a customer, but this is just my perspective.

Remember, the spirit of old Alienware is evidently gone. Now it seems to be all about maximising short term profit, value for the users and their satisfaxtion be damned.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Virale and Papusan like this.
  4. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This guy is so weird. Why would he message me this and not just respond to it in the thread? I mean, I am no psychic nor am I trying to act like one. But he could have easily asked this in that thread if he wanted to defend their decision a bit, instead of like, hiding lol. Also, I can't even respond to PMs on Dells forums with Chrome, I had to log into Firefox for a reply button to be visible. I hate that forum so much

[​IMG]

FXi, normand668, Virale and 2 others like this.
  5. etern4l

Reputations:
    Ask him if a new AGA is coming.

Virale and illuMinniti like this.
  6. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can ask but I doubt he will respond. He seems to prefer responding with unhelpful info. Why ask "who said this" instead of just responding with "this is why we made this decision". Like at this point their mind is made up, at least humor us a little bit with their reasoning

Virale and etern4l like this.
  7. etern4l

Reputations:
    This indicative of the toxic culture/policy. The reasons could be good (they are working on new amazing products and want to surprise us), but more likely they want to limit public's view into the sh1tshow within.

Obviously, the guy seems fairly abrasive - kind of like a volunteer mod in a bad section of a community-run forum, rather than a salaried professional working for a major listed company.

Virale likes this.
  8. Virale

Reputations:
    Of course I don’t know what is going on inside Dell or their product roadmaps. Just speaking from prior experience.

And yeah, I hear you... at a glance, bigger money comes from buying new laptops, but again my business sense and having product management experience, what I would do and ANY product manager with a good head on this shoulders would and should realize is the competitive advantage and lock-in power that exists via the AGA with users. They could easily piece the following story together:

1. User buys AW (yay profits!)
    2. Users AW laptop ages, and there’s potential to get them to buy another one instead of an AGA... (your logic, good, the “Me greedy Dell want moar moneyz” mentality) BUT, Dell is not the only laptop brand out there... the user could buy literally ANY other brand for less money and same specs usually (the exception, I thought, was the 51m which I would be able to upgrade the GPU, end of rant on this...)
    3. Fortunately, this particular user has dived into the AW ecosystem and has a laptop PLUS AGA (that doesn’t work on any other competitors laptop, imagine that? AND it works better than thunderbolt eGPUs, so it’s a superior product on paper), so, the user continues to use and tout how great his laptop is because he can give it a GPU boost with the AGA.
    4. Users laptop ages more or eventually stops working. Since the user has the AGA, which can only be used with AW laptops, they are VERY likely to buy another AW laptop when they DO decide to upgrade.

Also consider:
    - Most users don’t upgrade often... especially with a high end laptop.
    - When they do upgrade they shop EVERYWHERE, and then decide. It’s better to have your hooks in them with an ecosystem than with single product value propositions (e.g. if the user is shopping and the only thing AW can offer is “the laptop” that the user compares to any other laptop out there, the playing field is level and Dell doesn’t have a leg up on its competition to have better chances of having that user return; the AGA does this for EVERY person out there that has an AW laptop + AGA. If they are going to buy a new laptop OF COURSE they think about the fact that they have an AGA and will look to Dell first or will have it high in their consideration).
    - Recurring revenue is more valuable than one-time revenue. Increasing your chances of extending consumer lifetime revenue is more valuable in net present value than a big sale very sporadically (if any). Anyone with half a brain in business knows this.

My 2 cents. I am hoping for an AGA refresh too... so I am biased. I have a 51m R1 and an ultra pissed off that there is 0 upgrade path for the GPU, so my hopes are on an AGA to use this longer when the 2080 ages, otherwise I am for sure not ever going to buy another AW laptop (this would be my first and last one). The reason? There’s no reason to stay... every other BGA/LGA laptop is pretty much the same (no GPU upgrade paths, yeah there’s some MXM options, but they’re limited too, which the DGFF had the opportunity of changing).

Sooo: IF I had my 51m and a new AGA rocking a 4080 or whatever in the future in 1-2 years, and my laptop finally died or I wanted to change it, I would strongly consider a 51m R4/R5 or whatever... or maybe a lighter 15m or 17m, knowing I could use the AGA to boost it.

If I don’t have an AGA at that point (I don’t right now and with the EOL, I won’t buy one now obviously...) I will buy something else. And very likely will every other user that got burned with hopes of using the AGA, and for certain everyone that got a 51m R1.

9. Virale

Reputations:
    Also, I’ve been keeping my eye on the AGA for a while anticipating a redesign. The current one is SO old... and I know it’s been talked about for a while, I’ve been watching around the web.

I haven’t purchased one waiting for something to happen! This is the most news I’ve seen about it pretty much since it came out (that it’s EOL)! lol.

FXi and etern4l like this.
  10. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think Alienware would kill off AGA now, it's one of their main features compared to other brands IMHO, at least until the TB3/4 controller limiting bandwidth stops being the issue (like e.g. on Intel Tiger Lake CPUs where the controller is integrated).

They are probably simply limited by the PSU they used in the AGA.

Radeon 6800XT seems to fair better consumption wise so here's hoping it might work:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/31.html

Virale likes this.