*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I hope its not too bad. Ofc I am not gonna buy a old GPU as a workaround to avoid firmware update fan speeds, but at the same time I sure af am not gonna use headphones 24/7 or appreciate a laptop that is noisy during web browser use. The firmware I am on now is reasonable, its silent as long as its below 55C or so. But I know one of those newer firmware updates I tried, the fan was going crazy even at like 40-45C, so I downgraded

It is proprietary though, so the odds of that is extremely low. Its more likely someone would sell some kind of "upgrade box", where you buy the AGA, unscrew the PCIE adapter and put it into the new box

etern4l likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, it could have been an unfair sarcasm on my part - perhaps the new AW VP actually is available on Twitter, Frank style :) Perhaps Umar stepped up... The odds are so bad I can't be bothered to check :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    illuMinniti likes this.
  3. kqmaverick

kqmaverick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will give AW the benefit of doubt on this one. No-one not even ASUS, EVGA, MSI, etc.. received drivers for the 3080 before launch hence the power issues the 3080 is having. Now that cards are in the wild I expect Alienware will push the required updates. The question is how far back in there product stack they will go back and support.

MogRules likes this.
  4. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't speak for the engineering team or whoever writes the drivers but I know that Umar and Ernie didn't even have 3080's at launch and from what I understand no one else at Alienware did either as there was just no stock to be had. I would give them a week or two to hopefully figure something out. Maybe nothing will change, but from what I understand it's a cluster for this whole launch and even the companies you would think would have stock or time to play around with these, didn't.

illuMinniti likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You seem pretty close to Umar and Ernie.

6. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We have a working relationship so I can pass along community concerns and or problems and try to get them fixed. We get a lot of stuff that comes up on Reddit that could be cause for concern, so if I can get that info to them and get a fix for it then hopefully everyone benefits. Compatibility concerns, an influx of issues with a certain BIOS etc.

All I can do is pass stuff along, but I try to do it whenever I can.

Aroc, etern4l and twin snakes like this.
  7. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Please let them aware of this, I am on the verge of ditching Alienware laptops for good and head for the PCMR route if the AGA is useless.

MogRules likes this.
  8. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Already done, I brought it up a few days ago after we saw some posts on Reddit about it. I have not heard back about it yet. I do know the GPU fits according to those that have them, but they can't get the drivers to install. This might even be an Nvidia driver thing, who knows.

Aroc and twin snakes like this.
  9. littlezipp

littlezipp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bought the AGA last month and have two orders in for a 3080 - PNY from Dell and EVGA FTW3 Ultra through CDW. Dell currently says 10/22 delivery and I’ll cancel the second order as soon as I have a confirmed card in transit!

Not sure if / when either will come but will not be pleased if this won’t work with my M15 R2. I maxed it out when I bought it with the intention of getting the next gen GPU. I understand I will likely need to run the AGA open, totally fine. I bought a quality Seasonic PSU to ensure adequate power. Alienware better get this figured out!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  10. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's not like they intentionally wanted to disappoint people. If you like your notebook, it won't be long before you can enjoy the AGA with your 3000 series GPU. But if you wanted a excuse to move to desktop then maybe your weren't a fan of notebooks to begin with lol

Aroc likes this.