*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not directly related to the AGA but very relevant.

I am building a PC and have a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 3X and a PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil. I will keep one of the two and return the other. Which one would you suggest I keep and why?

2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pretty sure the 2070 Super is a lot better than any 5700XT. There may be a few random games that AMD GPU do better at, but the 2070 Super should do better in mostly all

3. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well as it turned out, the 2070 S was clearly opened and used so I did not even open it, I am just returning it. Because God knows who had it before, what they run through the card, overclocked it or whatever they tried on it. So we are stuck with the Red Devil 5700 XT.

4. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I mean with 3070 and 3060Ti coming out so soon, I wouldn't keep either of them but they are good GPU for their prices.

5. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since no news is to be found, some food for thought. 3080/3090 cards certainly give a nice performance boost even at pci-e 3.0 x4. The amplifier has not yet seen a redesign to match the new Alienware design style. Monitors, keyboards have all been updated to the new design language. Pci-e 4.0 is coming with Tiger Lake H. Maybe a redesign is in the works. Maybe.

Given that the 3xxx series is backwards compatible with 3.0, it's not like such a design would not work across the current line as well. And certainly a small pip up to the PSU to something a bit more potent and somewhat better sound signature wouldn't break the bank (although this is Dell I'm saying this about so God knows). Cable length might have to be shorter with 4.0 integrity.

Just thinking the timing could be right. I sure hope if they do that they come in black and not just white...

6. MNColdMidwest

MNColdMidwest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For those that care, I just upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS and after updating my AW17R3 bios (1.8.0) and getting dual boot working, my 2nd hand 1070 (8GB) is recognized on boot up.

There were issues a while back about getting the AGA working without a connected display with Linux in the past. Those issues appear to have been resolved.

No external display and both the "about" in the desktop settings as well as a quick "smoke-test" with Tensorflow shows that is working perfectly.

I did use the latest 450 drivers, so no other changes or testing appear to be required.

7. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hope some one can help I have a Alienware m15 r3 with and amp I wanted to test the amp out with the 5700xt but I’m getting an error in device manager is had a yellow mark and says pci express upstream switch port the gpu I’m not showing up . But then I put my super old 6950 in it works up and I can use the external monitor . And help would be great .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SteveM99

SteveM99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone.

My AGA has stopped working - sort of. Windows won't use the external GPU...

AW Command Centre recognises that the AGA is connected, showing the integrated GPU and external GPU (EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0) are active, whilst the internal GPU (GTX 980M) is not - this is good. All USB devices connected to the AGA work - this is also good.

However, the external GPU does not appear in Windows 10 Device Manager under Display Adapters, only the integrated GPU does (Intel HD Graphics 530). All apps and games use this. When I try to install Nvidia's graphics drivers or run GeForce Experience, the external GPU is not 'seen' and the drivers fail to install (stating the it is not compatible with this version of Windows - I have a legal, fully updated copy!). All of this is bad.

HWINFO64 shows the external GPU seen as GPU#1 but only registering 1GB of memory (it has 6GB). This is downright confusing.

All of the lights in the AGA are working, as is the fan. When booting up, the fans on the GPU spin up, then stop when the Windows 10 welcome screen appears.

This seemed to start happening when I updated the BIOS on my Alienware 15 R2 to the latest version (1.8.0), though that may be coincidence.

Any help is appreciated.

Spec:

Alienware 15 R2 i7-6820HK, 32GB DDR4, 1TB M.2 SSD, 512GB M.2 SSD, 1TB SATA SSD

Nvidia GTX 980M (internal)

EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0 (external)

9. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    This is late, but if you haven't tried it I would just try reinstalling the drivers altogether. What has worked best for me and many others, is simply installing the Desktop GPU drivers, in your case the 980 Ti.

Download latest GPU drivers for 980 Ti Desktop.
    Connect AGA (if not already connected) and use safe mode + DDU to uninstall GPU drivers.
    Windows will restart, then install the new 980TI drivers with the AGA still connected.
    Reboot again if necessary.

You might need to install Alienware command center again, you could try uninstalling that as well and do a complete reinstall of that bs. The AW Command center is needed for the AGA as you know, and just reinstalling the latest driver for both could just rule out any problems with them.

10. Nicholas Parker

Nicholas Parker Newbie

Reputations:
    I just found a 2080 Ti at an unbelievable price. Only to get it home and realize it's a 2.7 slot card that's 12" xD. It's massive. I may post it up and either sell it or trade it for a smaller card. Should have done my homework first.