*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. dsmrunnah

dsmrunnah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The CPU helps with the physics score, but doesn't do much for the graphics score. I'm betting on newer titles, especially DX12 titles, you're going to start hitting a bottleneck with your CPU. I'm seeing it with my GF's desktop which has a i5-6600K @ 4.5GHz and 2070 Super. On games like Battlefield 5, Wildlands, and Tomb Raider, her CPU stays consistently at 85-100%. With the new games, a 4core/4thread CPU will start to struggle. My 4C/8T laptop CPU seems to be a good match with the 2070 Super, especially with me having it overclocked to 4.5GHz.

As far as overclocking goes, my typical overclock is +100 on the core clock and +500 on the memory. This usually nets me a few FPS more in games and is still stable. When I'm pushing my clocks for benchmarking, I usually run my fans at 100%, and I start bringing up my clock speed in 15 or 30MHz increments until it isn't stable throughout the benchmark. Then I slowly start bringing up my memory clock until I start seeing artifacting. Once that happens, I'll usually back it off 50-100MHz. From there I just try a few different combinations of core/memory clocks to see what gets me the best score.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. bananam8nuk

bananam8nuk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah figured choosing an i5 might bite me in the ass at some point, however and the main point is i certainly dont seem to be struggling in games, and going from a just playable Modern Warfare on minimum settings, to all settings on ultra high and ray tracing on @ 3440 x 1440p makes me very happy, and dont think i need to upgrade my laptop, if i do start to struggle, then i will be looking at an SSF as stated in a previous post, but looking at a Ryzen CPU for sure,

thanks for the pointers re overclocking, will give them a go just to see how much extra FPS i can get,

cheers

dsmrunnah likes this.
  3. dsmrunnah

dsmrunnah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good luck and be sure to post the results! As far as a SFFPC goes, a Ryzen 3600/2070 Super is a damn near perfect budget setup. That’s what we’re planning to do with my GF’s in the spring.

bananam8nuk likes this.
  4. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I been looking into a new fan, since even with the LNA (low noise adapter) the Noctua is way too loud without PWM controlling it. I've been looking into BeQuiet fans. I see on this page they mention a 3pin fan that has variable speeds. Is that a thing nowadays? I thought 4pins were required for changing fan speeds. Or does the BeQuiet fans just somehow detect when the speed should go up or down?

https://www.eteknix.com/be-quiet-shadow-wings-2-120mm-140mm-fan-review/2/

This is the review I saw and the info talking about 3pin and variable speeds. I haven't built a desktop in about 5 years so I guess my weakness is new fan tech. Also, kinda lame to see the fan is made in China, I always thought their stuff was German made.

Edit: FLX is just a fancy acronym for "I come with low-noise adapters" lol. If I can, I am gonna try to fit a 140mm BeQuiet silent fan. Also might consider painting this thing, it kinda looks gross from fingerprints/scratches/smudges. Also looks gross with the silver inside under the GPU and PCB

Edit 2: So I did some gaming today pretty much maxing the load for a couple hours like always (Afterburner shown it was mostly about 95-99% GPU load). Shadow of Mordor pretty much maxed out (no blur or DoF) -

No case mods with fan plugged in, lid on AGA - 77C max
    No case mods with fan unplugged, lid off AGA - 70C max
    Replaced PSU with EVGA Supernova 650 G5 - 60C max

Definitely way less obnoxious coil whine, but the coil whine isn't 100% gone. However it is possible to not even notice it when gaming, Whereas the coil whine with stock PSU was obnoxiously heard always

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  5. Trulyfatal

Trulyfatal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    will this gpu work in the Amplifier ?

Gigabyte GeForce AORUS RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE 11G

6. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    No, not without doing some modding to the AGA. The AGA supports only 92mm fans without doing some cutting and drilling. That GPU has a 240mm radiator. You can plug the GPU in with the lid off and sit the radiator off to the side though and it will work perfectly. But you can't in any simple way, set it up with the lid closed.

etern4l likes this.
  7. Trulyfatal

Trulyfatal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was thinking drilling 2 simple holes for the the tubes, but idk if the lid will fully close when the card seated.

8. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    That would allow it to 'fit', but I highly doubt it would perform well. I would be surprised if it didn't perform worse than the worst 2080ti cooler available. The good thing about water cooling (besides looking nice) is it can run very quiet and efficient. However, due to being a water cooler, if it doesn't have good cool airflow, you're gonna be 'cooling' the water with hot/warm air and its gonna get hotter and hotter. It sounds like you just want to make holes for the loops and just lay the radiator w/fans inside?

The stock PSU is very bad when it comes to running cool, though it is effective for what it does (cheap price, performs adequately). From my tests above, changing the PSU alone resulted in a 10C difference. But that is with the lid off. If I were to compare lid on, I feel like it would be much higher than 10C, but I cut so much plastic its not fair to compare lid on with lid on with my PSU swap so I won't bother.

Tl;dr - it'll probably fit, but without fresh air flowing through the radiator, expect high temps (loud fans)

9. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I finally finished screwing with my AGA and painting it. I did attach the fan with zip ties, since they are easily removable if ever need be and most importantly, effective. Its a low RPM fan but it performs very well while being quiet, so there is no problem with vibrations using zip ties. It has some flaws, for some reason the lid won't fully sit on the left side, its about 2mm raised. I assume its due to the EVGA power link since its sits tall. Since it was winter I kinda made the rookie mistake of rushing with paint and applying a thick heavy coat, which of course leaked onto the black plastic vent and doesn't look too nice. But overall I am satisfied with it, because it hides all the flaws of modifying the PSU and 140mm fan inside of it. The camera flash makes it look kinda neon orange, so I took some pics without flash that shows the dark red it would look in natural light. Also what the pics don't show, is the BeQuiet fan came with a SATA power adapter, so I am using that to power the fan. More pics in imgur album link - https://imgur.com/a/FAqxis4

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    etern4l likes this.
  10. Fajo

Fajo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys just a quick question. I have a Alienware 17 r4 (7820HK and 1080 Internal) that I have been thinking about getting the AGA for. I am thinking of sticking a 2080Ti in the AGA but don't know how much of a performance change I would see. Anyone here have any experience with these 2 gpus and the difference I may see upgrading to it ?

Other option is to scrap this idea and buy a 51m with 9900k and a 2080 or build a desktop.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020