*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. bananam8nuk

bananam8nuk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what you say makes financial sense among other things,

to be fair, my reasons for buying the SFX where two fold, i knew the GPU watercooler would be a bit of a fudge in the standard AGA and wanted to create some space/airflow, and also, although i will prob leave the AGA engaged with the laptop for the most part, my end game is to build an Mini ITX case by the end of the year, so if i already have the GPU and PSU, the battles half won ;)

2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That would be awesome, I seen a custom one made in acrylic on Google, though it looked kinda big. It would be even nicer if Dell made a AGA with more metal and screws though. There is practically no metal, aside from the back vent and the PSU. It uses melted plastic rivets all over the case. It likely attributed to the very low cost + effectiveness to the AGA vs competition, but sheet metal and screws cost pennies to such a huge company... then again they also use the worst of the worst thermal paste to save money so I guess there are better priorities.

I ordered a EVGA PowerLink, a CoolerMaster 90degree angle 24pin adapter and the Noctua LNA to quiet that obnoxious fan. Oh and when I went to try the AGA last night, I noticed when mounting the PSU, the AC outlet plastic shield was at the perfect height for my PSU fan eco mode, so basically as I screwed it in, it switched the fan off, so that is likely why there was so much air pushed out of the side vents. I'll just wait until tomorrow when I get my 3 packages to see how nicely it works together

3. bananam8nuk

Reputations:
    yeah it’s a strange position to be in having an AGA,
    In hindsight I wished I’d gone for the OLED 13” for its portability, and the Aga would of been a more long term possibility, as it is, my 15 R3 has become a pc that looks like a laptop, as it’s far to heavy to site on my lap lol

but it will do for now, and modern warfare on my 34” screen with all the bells n whistles will keep me smiling,

hope your packages provide you with what you need, pics would be nice,

once I get round to sorting my sfx psu out and water cooler fitted properly will also get some pics put up,

4. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Definitely will post pics, I already have the EVGA power link plugged in but I am in no rush to test it out, I'll just wait until tomorrow. I showed all the bad things in the previous pics so when I am fully done I'll show all the good things.

I also had the 15R3 previously and after seeing many posts, wish I got either the 13 (for size/weight) or the 17 (better cooling). The 15R3 is a tank, definitely made out of good material. But carrying around that 9lb tank for almost 3 years started to get annoying. Maybe after 5 revisions of the m15, Dell will make a big leap in size/cooling/efficiency again.

That 2070 Super will work awesome for even 4K. I wish I waited and got a 2070S over the 2080 when they launched, they're nearly the same in performance. Some people have drilled holes in the top of their AGA to fit the watercooler pipes with the AGA. I'm not sure how long the tubes are but it looks like there is more than enough room for the tubes to be hidden inside, especially since you have a SFX PSU to help with the space. You could take a dremel to a lot of that plastic in the front and cut lines through it just like the grill on the front + probably use some bolts to mount it. I cut away and melted off pretty much all of that plastic except the front plastic grill, so there's no easy way I could fit a heavy AIO to the front of mine

etern4l likes this.
  5. bananam8nuk

Reputations:
    it all currently fits, the AIO is sat in front of the psu between the side vent and GPU, its a snug fit, which is kind of ok as it keeps the water cables in place when closing the lid, but its tight,

thats why hopefully the SFX will give me a bit more wiggle room, and ive got some brackets for the AIO so it will be screwed in place, then can tie wrap the cables somewhere,

the AGA is def rife for having the hell beaten out of it, AKA modded! if i was keeping mine i would do, but dont want to harm the resale value, plus, even as it is, im only getting around 40-50c MAX playing games, so happy with that, but might change out the front fan for a nochua one to help

6. dsmrunnah

dsmrunnah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my EVGA 2070 Super Hybrid for my AGA. When I first put it in and turned everything on, I could hear the AIO pump turn on, but the fans never turned on. Got my drivers installed and then my monitor went black. Figured it was a driver/BIOS issues, but every time I rebooted, it would lock up right around the time that I would log into windows, making it difficult to troubleshoot anything. Let it sit for an hour then put a blower fan on the radiator & card and finally was able to get into Precision X1 and see that the fans were being commanded to run, but they weren't spinning. Powered it off before it got too hot (it was hitting 80C and climbing, my guess is the pump wasn't running this time). Pulled the plastic shroud and found the fan/pump header loose on the board. Powered everything back up and it was idling like it should be around 28-30C, and maintaining 50C under stress testing. Glad it was something simple and I didn't have to send it back.

Edit-
    For anyone curious, here's a comparison of my Firestrike 1.1 benchmarks with the internal GTX 1080, 2070 Super, and my old 2080 Non-Super:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/15937900/fs/21720187/fs/17632650

Attached Files:

etern4l and bananam8nuk like this.
  7. bananam8nuk

Reputations:
    Glad to see a fellow Hybrid owner, this card was not my 1st choice, but there are no FE cards about, and herd mixed reviews about blowers, found someone on reddit i think it was who had fitted a gtx1080 hybrid, so lead me to having one now,

glad you got over that issue, thought i had probs with my drivers issues,

great card at keeping cool thou,

ill do some bench marks later, see how it compares to yours

8. dsmrunnah

dsmrunnah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was able to push the clocks a bit more (2160MHz peak on core, +1300 on Memory) and get it within 2% of my 2080 (mild overclock, was using stock air cooler) benchmark score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/21721610/fs/17632650#

My normal overclock profile though puts the 2070 Super within about 7-8% of the 2080 Non-Super though which is very impressive considering it's about a $300 price difference from when I bought my 2080 back at the end of 2019.

etern4l likes this.
  9. bananam8nuk

Reputations:
    have to say im a bit out of touch with overclocking, and always been of the thought, if it works it works, but i guess if your getting close to 2080 clocks thats pretty impressive, do you just put up both clocks a little at a time until you get artifacts? or are there set profiles?

there is also this fan curve thing, ive watched a few youtube vids on it, but just not got the hang of it,

10. bananam8nuk

Reputations:
    tried to make my setting as close to yours as possible, quite a difference in scores, wonder if CPU would make that much difference !

Attached Files: