*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Mike 06

Mike 06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good DIY of the case! Personally I cut at the base of the power supply all the cables that are not used for the AGA.
    Suddenly there is space in the housing so that the air enters well from the front then is expelled by the power supply at the rear of the housing.
    So the case is closed and the air circulates well.
    So much so that nothing comes out of the side openings of the case. The air enters in front of the AGA and escapes at the back thanks to the supply fan.
    I specify that I measure the passage of air thanks to steam!
    And yes I am a LoL vaper! It helps to see the air passages :)

illuMinniti likes this.
  2. Mike 06

Reputations:
    I just sent a big cloud of steam to the sides of the AGM. As a result, air is drawn into the amplifier.

I deduce that the BeQuiet Power Supply / Front Fan combo of the same brand allow cutting all unnecessary cable to ventilate the AGA well.

Conclusion: Fresh air comes in strongly from the front but also from the sides of the amplifier and hot air is thrown dirty at the back of the amplifier by the power supply. Pretty cool!

If it can help some people it's nice. And what silence! I only hear the PC fan from time to time. So I know which games take advantage of the CPU :)

Good evening on our ALIENWARE!

Attached Files:

illuMinniti likes this.
  3. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, though I still kinda wanna make a change so that the lid closes. Maybe there exists PCIE 6pin and 8pin 90 degree angle plugs. And yeah ideally I would want the front fan pushing air out of the case since my 2080 isn't a FE... so it kinda just throws hot air allover. But I plan on it being in a tight space, so I wouldn't want the case to have a negative air pressure (sucking in the hot air that it throws out), this way it having a positive air pressure it brings cool air in from the front.

4. Mike 06

Reputations:
    Sorry really but I don't understand. I have an RTX 2070S Fe but it should work like yours, right? He is not a Blower. There are 2 fans on mine which expels hot air from the GPU. Even so, fresh air enters the amplifier from the sides. however the card tries to expel the hot air on the sides but does not succeed. The hot air goes into the pressure supply fan. I think we have to find a solution so that your amplifier is properly closed. Thus the power of the front fan to bring in fresh air and the larger fan in the power supply will force hot air to exit behind the amplifier by pressure. For me it works. As a bonus, the side vents also suck in fresh air. It must be able to work for you. Well closed, the air has no choice

5. bananam8nuk

bananam8nuk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi , thanks for helping out, yeah I figured something was going on as even thou the screen freezes, Windows is still loading in the background , so has to be a driver issue,
    when you say reinstall the driver for desktop gpu, can you explain more, as when I tried doing a “update driver” from the device menu, it states it’s already up to date ! Do I need to download drivers from somewhere?

im A bit confused when you say unplug or plug in the AGA! As either of these tasks require the laptop to be shut down ? Obviously you have to initiate the undock to start the unplug process ! And then shut down !

apologies for the above, I’m not questioning your wisdom, just trying to be clear what I need to do :)

p.s have been following your modding of the Aga, along with my own research as I wanted to know what I was letting myself in for, noticed your posts about clearance probs with the pcie cables/plugs, surprised you went with a full atx PSU, I’ve gone with the Corsair SFX 750, due to size of cables and itself being small, thus providing more room etc for cooling,

also I got the below with my evga gpu, wonder if they fit other gpu’s would be handy if it did, :)

https://eu.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=600-PL-2816-LR

6. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    You're right, I was confusing the 2000 series FE with the FE from every year before it that had blower versions, I forgot Nvidia Finally upgraded from the blower coolers. I think cuz this Noctua fan is running a lot faster than I like, it is loud and moving a lot more air, thus pushing it out of the side clear windows instead of sucking air in (due to making a lot of positive air pressure). Though you reminded me I need to double check that the PSU fan is enabled... I thought maybe I pressed the button yesterday when mounting it and then forgot about it

No need to apologize, we'er all here for helping and learning.

To avoid confusion I will just list the steps I will have taken to ensure it all works good.
    1. Go to this website - https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx - and download the Nvidia drivers for the desktop GPU in the AGA and both your notebook GPU drivers.
    2. Download DDU from either this website or whatever website you'd like - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    3. With your AGA still plugged in (I assume it is anyway since your notebook GPU isn't working), install the Notebook Nvidia drivers. They should be pretty much named the same exact thing, except the 'notebook'd rivers will have 'notebook' in the file name.
    4. After the driver installs, shutdown the laptop and unplug the AGA. Personally I would unplug it by the power cord in the back, since the AGA cable plug can be a pain.
    5. Start up the laptop, without the AGA being on, and see if it works. It should at least show the desktop, though likely with some performance problems due to some driver conflicting going on in your OS. If you see Windows fine, proceed to #6
    6. It is highly recommended to boot into safe mode to remove the drivers with DDU. Searching on YouTube on your phone "how to boot into safe mode Windows 10" on YouTube or Google is the quickest and easiest way to figure it out, its not easily explainable through text but it is not hard to do.
    7a. When you boot into safe mode, run DDU. If it asks for admin privileges, I would recommend doing so just in case. Personally I right click and run-as admin for it every time. On the right side where it says 'select device type' choose 'GPU' and it should auto select nvidia under it. There is also a button under that 'set windows device installation settings to' personally, I don't ever like Windows installing updates. I'm a big fan of "if its not broke, don't fix it". So I choose to have it never automatically install drivers. It is recommended to enable it for installing the GPU drivers though and you can feel free to start DDU again when you're finished and just press that one button to put it back to default.
    7b. Make sure to click "Clean and Restart" button in the top left of DDU. It is the Highly Recommended option and it says so on the button.
    8. When your laptop finishes rebooting, you should see a image on the screen no problem, but it will likely not be whatever resolution your laptop or monitor uses until you install the GPU drivers.
    9. Plug in the Alienware Graphics Amplifier and install the 'desktop' Nvidia driver you downloaded from step #1. The Alienware Control Panel might have a pop-up saying "You need to restart the laptop to enable the AGA" I would do it anyway even though it won't fully work until the drivers are installed.
    10. when it is finished installing that Nvidia driver, give the laptop a reboot again and both your notebook GPU and eGPU should be working fine, as well as they both should show their names under the Nvidia Control Panel if you have the AGA plugged in.

Normally, you only have to do half these steps, but your notebook GPU wasn't working. And once it is all working fine, simply updating the GPU drivers through GeForce Experience has worked fine for me. But soon I will stop using GeForce experience in general, since Shadow Recording seems to be iffy on whether or not it wants to work on laptops and Nvidia has no plans of fixing it (for over 5 years people have been reporting problems with it).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  7. bananam8nuk

Reputations:
    thanks for your help
    Because I will be doing a fresh install of windows 10 pro, I have made a copy of your step by step,

but wanted to fix this problem before i did the install, so i had an understanding of whats going on incase it happens later,

I always like a try as you go attitude with problem solving, so rather than go thru all your steps, i started with downloading all the GPU drivers, and DDU. I installed the Notebook GPU driver whilst in AGA mode, then i decided to see if that alone fixed my problem, so shutdown, disconnected AGA, and rebooted, and vola! it worked,

so then shutdown adn connected the AGA, and it booted back into AGA mode,(i did this several times just to check all good), what was interesting, and didn't release this at the time, is now in Geforce Experience, it lists both GPU's, where as before it only listed the AGA connect GPU,

Phew, thanks for you help ;)

one question thou,

in step 7a. you mention about setting 'set windows device installation settings to' 'never automatically install drivers'

is this just to stop windows trying to install GPU drivers whilst your doing a clean install with DDU, or to permanently stop windows installing drivers ??

8. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    No problem. Well, if you have Windows automatically installing drivers it will automatically reinstall things like the Killer Control Center (for WiFi and BT, but you don't need it and its been proven to hold performance back for network speeds. It seems like it finds a way to reinstall itself regardless though even if it doesn't fully reinstall itself, I still find a few processes for it. ( I followed this guide, but still some Killer software found itself back on my laptop http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...xtension-un-installation-and-blocking.830549/ ). It's just annoying to me, to uninstall a driver and immediately after doing so Windows starts downloading and installing it without permission. If you know how to Google to find the driver and install the latest version, you don't even need it anyway. Windows will very likely download and install a old driver anyway since it takes a while for them to decide if a driver is 100% compatible I guess?

9. bananam8nuk

Reputations:
    will check out that thread re the killer stuff, I’d be interesting to see if it’s on my system, I’ve dealt with killer stuff since the dawn of time within Alienware / dell gear, it’s just pants, so when I received my 15 R3 I ripped out the killer WiFi n Bluetooth gismo’s and installed an Intel AC 9260 instead, and not looked back,

however can’t do much about the Ethernet port, but thankfully don’t use it much :)

10. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Honestly I have no complaints with the Killer hardware or software. But if someone reputable tells me it hinders performance and provides a guide to remove it in the best way, then I will just go ahead and do that. I've been using Killer WiFi+BT cards for over 5 years and they simply worked for me and my internet at the speeds I should be getting.

Btw didn't mean to ignore your SFX question. The reason I went with a full ATX was simply due to value. I figure, if a new AGA comes out in the next 10 years, it will likely also use a full sized ATX PSU. This PSU was 100$ and has a 20$ rebate, 650W Gold certified and 10y warranty, fully modular, 135mm fan for helping cool + quiet the AGA. It just had a lot of value. That SFX PSU is very nice, its just double the price for the same performance basically.