*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    That’s a really clean setup. Is that desk custom made? Almost looks custom fit for that setup. Nice work.

2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I should have bought a new PSU for mine as well a while ago, or at least during the holidays. Didn't think of it. A decent PSU can often be bought for 30-40$ on sale. Gonna have to look at a new fan as well maybe. I wish it was 120mm and not 92mm. Nobody has a good 92mm just laying around lol.

Edit: Has anyone tried fitting a 120mm fan in it? I am looking at pics of it and it seems like it could be possible to mod one in. Worst case scenario it requires breaking the stupid hinge that keeps the two pieces together which I remember being a huge pain to open in the first place. I am gonna wait for a PSU to be on sale since its not a necessity and when that happens I will open it up and check it out

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  3. Mike 06

Mike 06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Terreos likes this.
  4. Mike 06

Reputations:
    I changed the power supply because the original one made an unbearable sharp noise when the RTX 2070S was fully charged.

So I took the opportunity to change the front fan too.

The set works well and in silence. the large fan in the power supply dissipates all the heat out of the case very efficiently. I never exceeded 65 ° on the GPU in full load after hours of games all graphics options to the max.

Edit:
    I am aware that my GPU could heat up more when playing in 2K or 4K but I play in 1080p. On this configuration everything is fluid, silent without being a radiator.

Attached Files:

etern4l and illuMinniti like this.
  5. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I had always assumed the coil whine was from my GPU, since that is extremely common. But after seeing your posts and looking into a new PSU, I've seen others mentioned their PSU had coil whine. This noise is just as loud as the GPU and AGA fans themselves, I def need to get a new PSU then. I don't think I will go with the extremely expensive Be Quiet brand, even though they deserve their price. I was looking at a EVGA one that has a 10 year warranty but I am not sure after seeing the reviews. It's a bad time to go PSU shopping with all the major holidays having just ended a month ago.

I was actually bored and ended up opening my AGA last night, the front grill of the AGA blocks so much airflow and on top of the grill, it has a large metal piece also blocking about 10-15% of the airflow to the fan. I kinda just want to take all of that metal and grill out, but that also means removing the Alien LED logo. Does anyone know if the AGA continues to work fine without that LED?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got bored again and took everything off the lid. There is so much ventilation space wasted on plastic and they melted plastic to make it glue together. Kinda dumb and annoying. But I am gonna try to melt it back off. Surprisingly my 2080 looks like there is no dust at all on it. But the vents and fan did block dust.

6. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    So I been taking apart the AGA and noticed something else dumb. Its a black plastic shell, with a copper colored plastic shell melted together with some silver colored plastic then melted onto the black and copper plastics lol. Still gonna try to attach a 120mm fan to the front of it, since I have a bunch of those laying around but don't have a decent 92mm laying around. Kinda seems like it would be a bit difficult to also keep the LED working without some kind of plastic standoff things for the screws/mounting. Does anyone know what size the screws are? I have no tools for measuring them nor do I even know how to.

Also, been running my AGA without a lid for a few hours the past couple of days. It went from 77C with lid (no mods) to 72C without lid (no mods). I'm sure this stock PSU is putting off a lot of heat for the GPU too, I have a new one coming to replace that.

7. Mike 06

Reputations:
    good evening. I confirm that investing 70 € in a 600W 80+ bronze power supply and a 92mm BeQuiet fan is cool!
    I tested for fun the RTX 2070S overclocking from this site: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER FE Overclocking - The FPS review
    https://www.thefpsreview.com/2019/08/30/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super-fe-overclocking/
    Like them, the card is very close to an RTX2080, see better in some games. The temperature remains below 75 ° despite a relentlessness on Shadow of the Tomb Raider for example or everything is
    all settings at maximum in 1080p!
    We agree that an RTX2080 OC will do better.
    But on the tests, the card does not heat like a radiator while providing margin on the OC.
    In short, the BeQuiet power / fan combo allows you to have fun. I insist, while being silent and clean.
    Really have the feeling that the power supply fan draws all the heat from the case and expels it out of the AGA. Helped by the fan before of course. If it can help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    etern4l and illuMinniti like this.
  8. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    So I finished playing with my AGA, I don't have any temp results yet because this Noctua fan is louder than I thought (its been sitting around for 4-5 years) and I will not be using such a loud fan so the results are useless to me. When I get a new fan or add the little cable that lowers the speed I will check the temps to compare.

But here are the pics - https://imgur.com/a/sRTd4qU
    Cut out all the BS from the front to make room for the 120mm Noctua fan.
    Had to cut some of the metal from the rear grill to allow for the EVGA Supernova 650 G5 AC plug to be accessed.

Problems I experienced -
    The PSU cables are so thick that the lid doesn't full sit down, see pic #5.
    I used twist ties to mount the 120mm fan... because its effective, quick and not easily noticeable when it blends in with the black. I will cut them but I wanted them to be visible in the pics.
    The Alien Logo LED is pretty easy to damage. I broke half the LED on it while trying to retain its usability. It does bright colors like blue, green, yellow, but it can't do dark colors since only one side of the LED is working.

Was it worth all this? Idk, I'll have to game tonight and see. As long as the obnoxious coil whine is gone, then it was worth it.That and the PSU has a 10 year warranty so either way I feel good about it all.

etern4l likes this.
  9. bananam8nuk

bananam8nuk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Help!
    so recently got my AGA, and fitted a EVGA RTX 2070s watercooled GPU, plugged it all up, and haven't looked back, works perfectly on my 34" LG,

now how the hell do i change back to using the internal graphics, i thought if i just unplugged the aga, the laptop would boot using the internal gpu, but this doesn't happen, after boot i get the flashy line thing like its switching to the AGA but then it gets to the windows screen and locks/crashes every time, ive connected the aga back up and it all boots ok now, as im tying on it in that state, so seems im locked to using the aga,

also im a bit confused, as i only have one DP port on my monitor, which the AGA is plugged into, do i have to unplug it and plug the laptop direct into the dp port to use the internal graphics card or is there some magic where the internal card links thru the aga to the monitor bypassing the EVGA card in the AGA

10. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Sounds like something went wrong when installing the drivers. I recommend plugging the AGA in and then reinstalling the notebook GPU drivers.
    And then unplugging the AGA and using DDU to uninstall all the Nvidia bs (yes, even though you would have just installed the notebook drivers, there was some problem causing it to not work).
    Then with the AGA plugged in, I usually just install the Desktop GPU driver and everything works good, even the notebook GPU and it performs 100% for gaming and even for undervolting + overclocking.

And yes, there is some magic that allows the AGA to pass the GPU signal through to the laptop and then back out of the laptop HDMI/DP to your monitor. I thought that was very cool and it confused me at first one day. I was like, hold up... how tf is it working with no HDMI cable...

etern4l likes this.