*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here is about an hour of playing ghost recon Wildlands. FPS is set at 70FPS and high to ultra settings Get about 65-70 FPS. 2560x1440p. Image sharpening on nvidia control panel set to about 80%. Look at the temps!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    illuMinniti likes this.
  2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is really good temps, especially for a founders edition card. That's one thing I love about the AGA, it makes the laptops so quiet since the CPU and GPU aren't sharing a small HSF. I wonder if that whole plastic clear window piece can be taken out on both sides, that would keep it looking nice while also giving lots of airflow. I mean of course it can come out but I wonder if it can also go back in no problem, once its out

3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I tried to see what can be done with those side air vents but unfortunately they are glued in pretty tight and can’t be popped out. I suppose a dremel can cut it out neatly. Even if you cut out those vent panels, it still doesn’t clear the graphic card fans so you still would need to drill holes! I am not about cosmetics but about longevity of my graphic card, so although it’s not the prettiest case with all those holes I don’t care or see it as it sits on the floor on the side of my computer table. Either way good luck with your project if you choose to modify it. I just took a pic of gameplay of division 2 with everything turned on ultra. This is the highest temps I see after 2 hours+ of gameplay. I have it set to 75 FPS locked on 2560x1440p. The CPU is also undervolted by -.160mv also. These temps are so low it’s like basically doing normal light tasks of looking at YouTube, web surfing but playing a high end game! Love this amp setup.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  4. Mike 06

Mike 06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good morning all. I have a slight problem with AGA. As soon as I turn on the PC, it boots 1 to 2 seconds. It cuts off and then leaves to light up normally. It lights up every time normally but over time I fear it will get damaged. Have you encountered this problem? I have installed / reinstalled the graphics card and AGA drivers several times. updated software. Alienware 17R3 updated all drivers on the site. The graphics card is an RTX 2070 SUPER FE.

Thank you for your help

5. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    That's how it always worked for me on my 15R3 but on my m15 it only requires a single restart, or often times it requires no restart. I think it's just how the laptop was designed to turn off the internal GPU. Not entirely sure, cuz I've also just unplugged the AGA without shutting down the laptop and it continues to work fine (the 15R3)

6. Mike 06

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reassuring feedback. I don't know if I was specific about the startup. When I turn on the PC it turns on 1 to 2 seconds, and turns off. At the same time, the AGA also turns on and turns off at the same time. Half a second after the set turns on automatically. I take no action. In short, the PC and AGA switch on for 1 to 2 seconds together, switch off and on automatically again together half a second later. I have a fear about the HDD which turns on, turns off and on again in the long term.

Thank you for your feedback

7. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Yep my 15R3 did the same thing. I am not sure if it is supposed to, but I would assume if both ours did then its likely that is how it was designed. It has to be due to enabling that AGA port, since my 15R3 could never switch to the AGA if plugged in when already in Windows, it always required a restart. The m15 must have a change that allowed for enabling the port without a restart. Though funnily, it still isn't perfect. Haven't tried a m15r2 or a 51m but sometimes I do have to restart the m15. Sometimes the AGA blinks red and white (means it requires a reboot to work) but it still worked. Maybe they've perfected the AGA even more since those 2 laptops, but for now it works extremely well for its price.

8. Mike 06

Reputations:
    Thank you again for your totally reassuring feedback! ... ALIENWARE does it right.

What a wonder this AGA! I stay on this brand for a future update.

My old ALIENWARE 17R3 from 2015 runs all AAA games. All Ultra options with anti-aliasing / alliasing at maximum always above 60 FPS. It's smooth and nice for 1080p.

Not bad for a 5 year old laptop which cost me € 2,500 over this period and to come ...

The RTX 2070 SUPER + AGA = Turbo on this 17R3. I was afraid of the bottleneck but finally I was surprised ... On all the last AAA titles in Ultra it runs at 65/80% CPU and 65/95% GPU maximum, it's cool.

However, I am not a Geek or a PGM.

thanks again

Long live ALIENWARE!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Terreos and illuMinniti like this.
  9. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I was always curious of the performance of external GPU enclosures VS the GPU in a desktop. Since many of them show as much as a 30-40% GPU performance reduction through Thunderbolt 3. But when I tested even my RTX 2080 with the 7700HQ and the new 8750H, I only saw about a 3% performance drop when comparing benchmarks on FF15 4K Ultra. And when undervolting the GPU, you will even surpass that performance reduction and get higher scores than the desktop versions, even with the AGA. Of course, the desktop versions can also undervolt and overclock, but the point is the AGA offers a very slight GPU performance reduction while being very affordable but also effective.

I think you were talking about the 7700HQ (maybe you chose a better CPU idk) bottlenecking the 2070S, but yeah I also think many YouTubers and benchmarking tech websites exaggerate CPU bottlenecks. The worst part about a 7700HQ is the 2.8Ghz for 8core performance, if it could do 3.6Ghz on 8 cores it would be awesome. But 2.8* 8 is still very good. Its just trash for extremely unoptimized games like the Final Fantasy 13 series or for trying to use demanding emulators.

10. Mike 06

Reputations:
    Totally agree!

No bottleneck and as a bonus: silence. I took the opportunity to put the CPU in performance mod in the bios. I was thinking of putting 17r3 in its entrenchments ...
    Finally it almost never ventilates. The fan starts 5 to 20 seconds maximum, however it boosts non / stop when I consult the CPU history.

It's a rebirth this AGA when the PC is on a desk.

No noise, all charge well, good cool ventilated case, no noise.

Nothing to do when the PC was running with the GPU 980m: A real turbine!

There, everything is calm, fluid, quietly assuming the charge of pixels calmly and without noise.

I just changed the power supply of the AGA with a BeQuiet 600W 80 + Bronze and a front fan from the same brand.

In short: Silence and Performance.

ALIENWARE Top

illuMinniti likes this.