*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay. Found solution online someone posted

Boot the laptop and load the drivers for the adapter manually by going into device manage and updating drivers for internal GPU

After the GTX1060 is recognized then plug in the AGA reboot it. If the AGA graphic card is not recognized then do the same as above. Once AGA card is recognized it will solve the issue.

Anyone thinking about getting this to improve your gameplay should not hesitate.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone experience this same thing. On my 15R3, plugging in the AGA simply caused a prompt to pop up asking to restart. Now on the m15R1, when I plug in the AGA, it causes every single USB port and ethernet + WiFi to disconnect. Which is kinda a problem because most of the time I have 1-2 external HDD plugged into the laptop and that goes and shuts off the Windows connection to them abruptly.

I assume its some design change which allows for the AGA + m15 to work without restarting the whole laptop. But I would rather spend the 20 seconds letting it restart than to lose any data off my external HDD's.

3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you tried uninstalling the amp drivers and then reinstalling them. Sometimes windows updates screws a lot of things up.

4. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I have not, I just assumed it was a design change but if nobody experiences the same thing then I should try it

5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have done so many modifications to this case that I am amazed how low my temps are. I have my FPS capped at 70FPS and mostly all games have ultra setting to very high settings with my founders edition RTX2080ti. With added fans, passive heatsink between card and power brick, GPU undervolting to .794, and drilling many holes around the case to allow the case to breath along with taking off a metal a bracket towards the back cover which is useless IMO. This metal support bracket increases temps as the metal gets very hot. Removal of this metal bracket helped a lot with temps!! I am able to have my RTX 2080ti with the cover closed temps hovering around 58-60 degrees. This is pretty insane for a RTX card without water cooling! Mostly all RTX cards in the Alienware graphics amplifier I have heard the temps run close to 78-82 degrees with thr cover closed. With my cover open I can see temps as low as 52-55 degrees but I prefer the cover closed for safety and dust accumulation.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    illuMinniti likes this.
  6. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Do you have any pics of your AGA? Would love to see all of these mods

7. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here are some pics. Alienware amplifier was original made for blower style graphics card but today card are all dual fan setups which this case is not ideally made for.

Pics 1-3 shows holes drilled all around the two GPU fans for air intake. It also show breathing holes for top cover as well as the bottom of the amp. It also shows I added legs to make the amp be off the ground at least 2 inches

Picture 4 shows I added 3 extra fans to pull air from the front of the amplifier. Power to run these fans were achieved by tapping the original fan wires in the front. I just ran them in series with each other. I replaced the original fan at the front of the amp with noctua fan and also added two more noctua fans line up in series with one another to pull more air. When you place your hand in front of the amp vents you can feel air being sucked into amp and not lightly but feel a nice suction!! I know many will say bla bla bla that is loud but actually it is not loud at all since I have the fans running lower rpms with noctua resisters that it comes with. I added another small little fan to pull air into the passive heatsink that sits between the graphic card and power brick. I added another little tiny fan to circulate the air on the left side of power brick. This card seems to have the lost heat on the back end of the amp and that’s where I want all my air flow to go. One fan in the front of the amp is NOT enough. The power brick has an exhaust fan which draws air out to the back of the amp. As we know there has to be a intake and somewhere to exhaust the hot air. So with the power brick fan which sucks some of the hot air along with the various holes drilled which allow the hot air to escape to the top of the case. Hot air rises as we know.

The last pic shows the little mini fan I was describing.

Attached Files:

illuMinniti likes this.
  8. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This pic shows the removal of the metal brace. That brace IMO doesn’t really give it any structural support. With it there all it did was retain the heat. With the removal of the metal bracket the temps were much lower. Believe it or not this metal bracket absorbs so much heat and doesn’t allow proper cooling. Plastic doesn’t absorb heat like metal!!

With all these modifications I know many will think I am insane but I spent $1300 for my graphics card and I want to keep it as cool possible as heat kills electronics. Before all these mods my graphic card temps would hover around 78-82 degrees with cover closed. NoW with cover it’s around 58-60. That’s a huge delta change!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    illuMinniti likes this.
  9. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Dam that's crazy. I wish I drilled holes all over mine before using it. I didn't even know it had vents on the bottom, I like the added feet and holes there as well. I never thought the stock fan was bad for loud compared to the default fan curve, but maybe I should really switch it. Maybe if I sell my 2080 for a Ampere I will drill some holes. Is that heatsink attacked to the back of the 2080ti? These are all good ideas though you've done. It's not like the AGA is expensive or has a crazy warranty anyway if something goes wrong

10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Exactly. The amp is really cheap. It’s the card that is expensive!

The passive heatsink just slides into that compartment. The card I am using Nvidia 2080ti with its dimension allows for a perfect fitment for one of those heatsinks that I am using. It slides In like it was made for it!! I applied some thermal paste to the copper contact and to the back plate of the card. It makes good contact and when gaming I feel the copper piping get nice and hot which I know is doing the job of transferring the heat off the back plate of the graphic card

You can still drill holes in the amp. Just take out the graphic card and go to town on it with a drill. Make sure to key in on the areas I have shown. Top cover and the side of the fans along with the bottom. The metal bracket removal is key. Make sure to remove it. It’s very easy. It held on by little glue and it snaps right off.

illuMinniti likes this.