*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    A lot of the reason the AGA fails is because of configuration options available for the Alienware laptops.

7700hq is too weak to make full use of the high end GPU's most people would look at, but with the 7820hk / 8950hk doesnt have 1050Ti options available.

2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I think the bigger issue is configuration and drivers.

I had lots of issues with drivers and the AGA, however, once I fixed everything, performance was damn near desktop level.

My AW 13 R3 (7700HQ) & Titan X (Pascal) say hi : https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13653218

As long as you are using an external display with the GPU, performance is very good. I used that set-up for a good while.

No bottlenecks from what I've seen. A quad-core skylake CPU will not bottleneck a GPU easily. I think people just think it will and leave it at that.

I've seen some 1080Ti & 2080Ti results somewhere in here too that were really close to desktop performance.

Considering we're on a PCIe 3.0 x4 bus, results are quite good. AW did a good job with the AMP, if only they had it running at 3.0 x8 speeds instead it might be desktop level.

They said it's ready for future PCIe so if an AW comes out with PCIe 5.0, perhaps it'll catch up to desktops.

I want to source a Radeon VII and try it out with my Area-51m.

3. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ya, with high demand VR flight and racing sims my 17r4 i7 7700hq worked it's little heart out (= always in turbo 3.4hz mode). Too bad Alienware does not have a CPU amplifier, lol!

The AGA took the load off the internal gtx1060 and I hardly ever heard the 17r4 fans kick in. I'm not really sure but I think that this lack of fans kicking in may have caused some problems with my 17r4. Over the past 1.5 years of AGA w/1080ti usage Dell has had to replace 3x motherboards (last one included replacing cpu and gpu fans). Dell support has been great in helping me out and even did the last repair (mailed into their service department) out of waranty for no charge.

Also, I found that using the AGA usb 3.0 ports were a bit hit and miss. If I used them with any high bandwidth demand devices (like Oculus Rift Sensors) I often got a lot of disconnect/reconnect pings. This was with all usb power savings disabled. On my new gaming desktop I have installed a starteck 4 port, 4 controller usb 3.0 board (optionally powered by my PC power supply) and this has worked much better.

I had been thinking about replacing my 17r4 with a new 51m laptop with better cpu, but lower spec gpu and then use my AGA to add a better gpu for more performance. I'm kinda glad I never went that way.

Funny thing too is that my current gaming desktop actually takes a little less room on my desk than my old 17r4 w/AGA and external gaming monitor.

4. Norby71

Norby71 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello can anybody can help me to make rtx 2060 super work on 13 r3 ? When I connect amp to laptop everything turning I got blue light card start running for while and after that switching off. Can this be a driver issue or maybe cable because they don't light up to white then there is not connection between gpu and laptop and I don't see card in device manager. Any help is appreciated this give me a headache don't know what to do thanks

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I'm ordering VII and will see if it works.

6. Norby71

Norby71 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anybody are here who successfully installed rtx 2060 super on amp?

7. Gryphon966

Gryphon966 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just installed a RTX 2080 super on the amp and its working great. I had to reinstall geforce experience and drivers off the Nvidia website directly in order to get it to work. On the nvidia site I had to choose DCH under windows driver type and once downloaded did a custom install so that I could do a clean start.

8. Norby71

Norby71 Newbie

Reputations:
    I sorted my problems after 3 days of struggle to install rtx 2060 super. What I done I connected only 6pin and device manager recognized gpu from Aga. After that updated driver from device manager restart I received error code 43 . Unplug AGA from power source attached 2pin to make it 1x8 as required . Restart error code is gone and rtx 2060 super is visible. I run test on metro exodus with ray tracing and I'm happy .Anybody who struggle to install try this method maybe this help u out.

9. Enclave

Enclave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I feel I should add my experience with an Inno 3D RTX 2080 Super card in my AGA. I moved from a 1080 Founders edition to the 2080 Super.

First install the machine booted but it would not detect the 2080 Super card. It just kept appearing as a Microsoft Video Adaptor. Tried installing the Geforce Drivers via the awful Geforce Experience app and rebooted and had the same issue.

Went into device manager, selected the MS video adaptor and selected Check for updated Drivers. After about 10 minutes it installed the MS Nvidia card driver and the card was detected. From there I just reinstalled the Geforce Drivers in Geforce Experience and rebooted. It has been solid ever since. As always getting a new card to work in the AGA is a pain but once it is working it works reliably.

I went with the Inno3D card only because it looked exactly like a reference design and didn't have massive fans that no doubt would have prevented me from closing the AGA lid. In terms of performance I jumped a few 1000 points in Fire Strike but overall the performance is mostly apparent when running games in 4K which I can actually do now.

I also only ever use the AGA with an external 4k display. Pretty happy with the upgrade overall.

sn00ka likes this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    When I had my AMP + Titan X I had removed the top cover. Liked the look of the Titan X + red sleeved cables.

Plan to do the same with Radeon VII this weekend, although that's kinda required now since VII is a taller card I believe lol