*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm running into a weird problem with the AGA. I installed a 2080ti into the AGA and it works fine until I enable Ray Tracking on games or demos that support that feature. The minute I do that the games or demos crash with (0x887A0006: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG) or (0x887A0005: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) messages. The card works 100% outside of the AGA (ray tracing and all). Any idea what's going on?

2. Kevg13

Kevg13 Newbie

Reputations:
    I know that it doesn't make sense, but.. that is simply the case, maybe my laptop has an outdated version of the ACPI battery driver, not sure. I tried to update it, but couldn't find any others.

But for sure is my workaround, as if I enable said driver and reboot, then the eGPU is not found.

No idea why that is the case, but it simply is, haha.

3. rickdeckard

rickdeckard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep agreed they are unified, I always install the 'desktop' drivers regardless of whether I'm on the laptop GPU or the AGA, all feeds comin' from the same source.

4. rickdeckard

Reputations:
    Totally bizarre but you didn't provide much info, specs and so on including the exact GPU model.

5. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My setup is a Alienware M15 r1 (2070 max Q model) with the AGA. The GPU is a Zotac Gaming Geforce RTX 2080 ti Twin Fan model. The 2080 ti replaced a Titan X Pascal. Like I mentioned before the Zotac card works perfectly in my test PC. I tried all the ray tracing demos on Nvidia's website and I also tested Shadow of the Tomb Raider (DLSS and RTX on). No issues. When I install the Zotac into my AGA it works fine as well until I enable ray tracing. Once I do that I get crashes. I'm using the 431.32 drivers. This issue has me stumped.

6. rickdeckard

Reputations:
    The card works perfectly fine in your PC so I think we can scratch that off the list straight away. If you've read the last couple pages you know I had a sorta similar problem just not related to RTX, rather my card simply wouldn't work at all in the AGA but was fine in my PC. Swapping in a new PSU got me 'over the hump' for lack of a better term then I just reverted back to the OEM PSU and have been fine since. Common sense tells me activating RTX utilizes a more intense scope of the card (RT cores and such) meaning more power needed and more heat generated. The OEM PSU is technically more than powerful enough to drive a 2080 Ti but as you know not all are created equal and can degrade over time. Do you have the luxury of trying a different PSU in your AGA as a test? Also there is a slightly newer driver, 431.36 if you want to try that first. Have you reseated the card real good as well as all the power leads into the AGA mainboard and Ti? Running any monitoring software of your choice, how's the thermals on your Ti while gaming in general? Might be valuable to monitor voltage and temp to see if you notice any anomaly when you try to enable RTX.

DrewN likes this.
  7. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I haven't tried a different power supply in the AGA. I do have a spare so I'll try that. As per thermals they seem OK. Peek temps hover around 73c. I'll reply back once I test this out.

8. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Just chiming in regarding the 0x887A0006: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error you are experiencing. I found that error on my m15 (no AGA) and only in one game. Shadow of the Tomb Rider. Been searching up and down for a while in the internet and found that a lot of users are experiencing that error and from the information i've gathered so far it seems to point out to DX12 issue with the game. Make sure you are on the latest windows version (which i'm not, unable to download it until i'll be back home in a few days) and latest drivers.

Hope this helps

9. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I connected a 1300 watt power supply to the AGA and ran the ray tracing tests again. I get the same result. It still crashes.

10. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So based on your message I tested Shadow of the Tomb Raider without the AGA and it works fine. I can enable ray tracing and DLSS using the laptop GPU (RTX 2070 max Q) and the game plays perfectly. No crashes. The only way I get crashes is while using the AGA and having ray tracing enabled.