*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. rickdeckard

rickdeckard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All you do to get the AGA working is power everything off, connect up the special cable and power it all on. After that all you should have to do is install the latest drivers and done. So if you aren't even getting past that first step I'd say first of all uninstall and reinstall the AGA driver from Dell's website.

2. Kevg13

Kevg13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Good news!

I finally got it working, it was the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" driver. I simply disabled it, rebooted and now everything is working perfectly(Or at least I think so)

So yes, the Alienware 17 R2 works perfectly with the RTX 2070 Super
    Just as everyone said here, download the Notebook drivers instead of the desktop ones. Update your system's BIOS and AGA driver.
    If it's not working, try disabling said battery driver, in my case, it did the trick.

The thread where I saw said bug, was this one: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...mplifier-not-working-with-nvidia-gtx-1070-ti/

Okay, next step, redeeming the games. Wish me luck!

rickdeckard and Zelb like this.
  3. Zelb

Zelb Newbie

Reputations:
    Glad you sorted that out, interesting information.
    I didn't encounter that issue, then again my command center and amplifier driver versions are different.
    Let me know if you have the same fan problem with the card or if it's just me...

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That makes no sense. they arent using any separated notebook or desktop drivers anymore.

5. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    They are still separate. Just set up my dad's Area-51m and AGA and it was a PITA getting the drivers straight. Of all things...windows update ended up getting them working right

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They have unified them since external GPU's became a thing. THe selection on the nvidia homepage is for delivery and data gathering reasons

rickdeckard likes this.
  7. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    If they were unified, why did I have 2 different Nvidia driver versions installed and running and causing issues at the same time?

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Because yiu can severely mess drivers up. A large part of the nvidia drivers live outside of the usual driver folders of windows. An installed driver is linked to a device id. It is possible to select 2 different drivers version for an internal and external nvidia gpu at the same time. But the driver parts living outside of the windows drivers folders cannot. Thus a weird form of hybrid drivers are being created unintentionally. A couple of reinstalls for both devices tend to fix it.

9. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    Ya it was weird. The windows assigned drivers did not match despite multiple attempts at uninstall and reinstall. Downloaded packages from Nvidia would complain saying they were not compatible with my version of Windows (was windows 10 pro 180x). After windows updated to the new 1903 build it was all happy. Was odd.

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Oh yeah that too. Once windows update is messing with your drivers it will block all other drivers until yoi use DDU.