*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. teamdoa

teamdoa Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys,

I have just bought a cheap Nvidia 980Ti for my Graphics Amp.
    I currently have a Alienware 17 r3, and was just wondering if there are any tips or insider info on getting it set up with the least amount of hassle. Driver install/version, settings to change in bios or within windows?

Is it worth replacing the stock power supply to get the setup a little less noisy? If so, what is the best one to get in regards to an easy replacement. I have already replaced the front fan just to improve on noise levels a little bit.

Any little tip or advice would be great before I go ahead with the card install.

2. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What front fan did you swap to?

I upgraded my psu to a quieter one pretty easily. It is a corsair one (I can check if you want). Its quieter and less hot although there are tons of connectors now inside the body of the amplifier. I probably should have gone with a modular psu, but didn't want to spend the money. Seeing as everything fits, I guess I did ok.

I ran mine stock with a 980ti and it was fine, so you don't have to change it if you don't want to. Its now housing a 1080ti.

3. teamdoa

teamdoa Newbie

Reputations:
    I looked on YouTube in the end. There is a guy on here that did a really good vid on his and I pretty much copied it.

Terreos and etern4l like this.
  4. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I suggest you just get it going stock to begin with. I'm still using my 17r4 and stock AGA w/gtx1080ti and external gaming monitor and all continues to work fine. Big tip is to use a gaming monitor (does not need to be an expensive one) connected to your AGA GPU for best performance.

teamdoa likes this.
  5. teamdoa

teamdoa Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, typical PC issue here. To be honest, everything was going good, installed fine etc.
    The issue I am having is noise from the power supply. It is fine when idle, but when under load, or in the other bizzare scenario shown in the video, it seems to interfere with it and make a noise. Not the typical one as you will hear

I have tried the stock PSU back in and it does the same thing. I also returned the 550 Corsair and tried a 650 thinking is might be that, but no. I have also tried it with a different video card and it makes the same noise.

Any ideas?

You need to turn the volume up a bit.

6. dsmrunnah

dsmrunnah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you tried taking the fan out of the PSU to make sure nothing is hitting it from underneath? I haven't had an issue with my Corsair PSU I am using, but the included PSU with the AGA kept making a noise (sounded mechanical, not so much coil whine) so I opened it up and found the protective film around the large capacitor was actually catching the fan under load. My best guess is that possibly the heat generated under load was causing something to expand/move and would rub the bottom of the fan.

https://i.imgur.com/RoAeZHk.jpg

7. teamdoa

teamdoa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have tried the original power supply and a expensive 1200W and it makes the same noise. I also tried a 1080 GTX card in it and it is the same.
    I just don't understand why it is even making a noise for a split second when changing the image in the Geforce Experience drive page, where the card isn't even under load.

All I can think of doing is a reset software wise of Windows to see if it is a program issue. After that the only thing it can be is a fault amplifier/cable which is odd as the machine benchmarks ok.

8. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fwiw, this is not true. My primary use for the AGA on the 51m is actually as a compute solution for GPGPU. Internal stays enabled handling display outputs.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Might be changed for the A51 but in all others you could only use 1 of the GPU's at a time.

10. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    It could be a case where the laptop screen is directly routed to the dGPU (like a G-Sync panel or, in the A51m's case, literally routed to the dGPU), so in this case, yes, both the dGPU and eGPU are active. Otherwise, you would be correct.