*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This should work fine. I just tested it with my 17r4 and AGA w/gtx1080ti and Oculus Rift VR headset. I normally only project to my gaming monitor so I just went to windows display settings and asked it to duplicate it to both my external and primary.

I did some performance tests with one of my high resources demand flight simulators (X-plane 11) in VR with my Oculus Rift;
    - projecting only to my external monitor = 45 FPS (frames per second)
    - projecting to both screens = 45 FPS (so no performance losses)
    - projecting only my laptop screen = 38 FPS (~15% loss in performance)

The interesting thing was that when I switched the last test back to duplicate the performance did not improve. I needed to go back to projection only to my external monitor to get back to where I started (45 FPS). Then I could duplicate both again and it remained at 45 FPS. So I guess you just need to keep in mind that in practise you probably want to start off with the external monitor, then duplicate it to your laptop screen.

Aside, I'm also considering the same as you btw (m51 w/2070, then using my AGA w/gtx1080ti). I just need to save up a few more $'s first, lol!

etern4l likes this.
  2. jks87

jks87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Thank you for the reply!

However my question is different.

I need to make sure I can show up at a client only with laptop and amplifier and VR headset.

Can I use the main display on laptop (not using any kind of external display) to setup the VR and run the VR through amplifier? I don't mind shutting down the laptop display after setting up.

But I need to know if I can setup the VR connected to amplifier from my laptop display.

3. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes you can do everything VR with just your laptop and AGA. I initially did this before buying my external monitor.

However you will lose 10-15% VR performance. Depending on the application that may not matter to you. If you then plugin an external monitor you can display both as I already described previously.

I should mention that it’s best that your external monitor connects to one of your AGA GPU DisplayPorts.

What GPU are you intending to use in your AGA?

Edit; also pick the non gsync laptop display options because the AGA does not play well with it.

Edit 2; you actually may want to just try VR without an AGA first. The 2070 should provide enough grunt for most VR apps. You can still project to an external monitor via either your hdmi or Mini DisplayPort (depends on which one your VR headset needs).

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. jks87

jks87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks!

Is there a list of compatible 2080ti cards?

I'll be buying a 9700k, 2060 rtx with the amplifier (will be swapping to 9900k later on).

I'll be running this for specific tasks: rendering 6K frames using full vram of the GPU, and a VR project tailored for the 1080ti.

Can't use anything less for it

5. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think this is the latest AGA supported GPU card list;

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...mplifier-supported-graphics-card-list?lang=en

Might be a good idea to check with Dell prior to buying. The main issue seems to be height of the card. Anything over ~4.5 inches and you cannot close the AGA cover. Usually the best bet is a foundation edition or blower style. Probably something like the Zotac rtx2080ti Blower would fit /work fine;

https://www.zotac.com/au/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-blower

Anyway, I don't think I can be of much more help. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Edit; in Australia we don't seem to get an option for a 9700k with 2060/2070 options. Just the i7 8700k for those.

6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Does your laptop have Optimus? I have heard that G-SYNC models cannot display internal and external at the same time.

A solution to this on the Area-51m would be to run the thunderbolt 3 to mDP adapter so the iGPU drives the external display and then use the AMP to drive the VR headset.

7. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, that’s why I already advised him to avoid g-sync screen options. That’s the easiest and best solution imho.

8. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Im thinking on getting m15 with rtx 2080max q model, also getting AGA, how much performance lost will i get with a 2080ti or 2080 while using external monitor ?
    I had an alienware 51m that got burned with the 2080 inside after 3 days of use, so i lost faith in that model and now thinking going mobile, but still wanting performance while stationed at home.
    All depends on how much % loss i will have..

FXi and etern4l like this.
  9. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    To be honest I wish I had just got a desktop to begin with, or at least a laptop with a gtx1080. The AGA is great for extending the life out of an older AW laptop but I would not recommend using it as a means of improving current models.

As I already mentioned, I lose ~15% performance by only projecting to my laptop screen.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    etern4l likes this.
  10. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know what u mean, but the idea of taking something mobile with u elsewhere is more tempting for me than a desktop at home.
    If i could get rtx 2080 desktop performance on my laptop, that would be very satisfying, having each of both worlds