*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. tobyg

tobyg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not supported doesn't mean it won't work. Have you searched around for others with your monitor model to see if someone has tried it? Have you tried it?
    I assume you know that some Freesync monitors do work with NVIDIA now. They call them "G-Sync Compatible".

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

They don't mention the word "Freesync" it appears but that's what they are, Freesync monitors that are now working with NVIDIA cards.

Looks like you have an AW13R3 with a 1060, you should try it yourself.

2. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi thank you for your reply.

I will test this. However I am still wondering about using an AmD cards in an AGA

3. tom_mai78101

tom_mai78101 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think this might be it. It's a faint but apparent noise when you hear it.

AGA fan is facing towards the wall. Super darn quiet to hear. Only when I'm revving up the GPU fan, that's when I hear the noise from the GPU. The noise is right near where the HDMI cables connect to the GPU, so it's definitely the GPU fan.

I cannot get in contact with the manufacturer, because they are 6,000 miles away, plus, to get warranty, you have to take the GPU over there.

I'm just going to bear with it, due to the circumstances.

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What type of noise do you hear, some coil noise sounds like a low grumble.

5. tom_mai78101

Reputations:
    It would be like a rattling sound.

You know there's a wind up toy where you turn the crank, it goes "tcktcktck" on the gears teeth?

You know what? Once I get home, I'm going to record the sound of it, with video. It will be around 6 to 7 hours later from the time of this post.

6. tom_mai78101

Reputations:
    I was at home trying to get the GPU to sound off the rattling noise, but apparently, after numerous attempts, it never happened...

I don't know what's going on, but I guess it resolved itself? The laptop is currently playing an intensive 3D game, but not a peep of rattling from the GPU fan. :confused:

I might as well just say I'm lucky it's resolved.

7. jace888au

jace888au Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, any tips as my Geforce Experience won't let me update to latest drivers for 1080Ti FE in an AGA connecte to a 13r3 with 1060.

1060 updates fine to latest drivers, but when 1080Ti is plugged in it says latest version is 417.35 from 12/12/2018!

Tried downloading from nvidia website both desktop and mobile for Pascals but neither seemed to want to install.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Use DDU and directly after install the latest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia themselves. and try to block windows update drivers.

9. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've used an Asus Strix Vega 56 in mine with both a 15r4 and the new 51m. When it works, it performs within 5% of my desktop as expected. Unfortunately, the AMD drivers are very unreliable in the AGA. I often have to reboot 2-3 times before the card is recognized and occasionally it will be recognized in device manager without the AMD Radeon settings app recognizing it. The only way to fix it is reinstall the drivers and reboot again.

I have heard people have better experiences with the RX580/590, but I can't recommend a Vega card in the AGA.

10. Y.U.KILL.ME

Y.U.KILL.ME Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys .. my AGA is working fine when used with an external monitor, but when I have it connected directly to my laptop monitor it recognizes it and installs the Nvidia drivers for the external RTX2080 and I can see it in device manager among the internal Intel and invidia GPUs. but games run over the internal GPU and completely ignores the RTX 2080 !! am I doing something wrong here?

note: g-sync is disabled