*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

That is an odd. Did you try updating the BIOS to 1.5.0.

2. rickdeckard

rickdeckard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great suggestion, I tweaked the fan curve with MSI (tried the EVGA X1 utility but it won't even launch on my system) and took the temp's down another few degrees to 68C under full load, sweet.

3. rickdeckard

Reputations:
    Open question. I've now got my 2080 Ti running at temp's I'm very comfortable with fully enclosed in the AGA. What still alarms me is how insanely hot the PSU gets and its unfortunate position directly on top of the GPU. Would a replacement PSU like a Corsair CXm series run any cooler than the obviously generic junk PSU from Dell?

4. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Without an undervolt, it still hits 100c. I undervolted and still hit in the high 80s, but averaged in the 70s. Biggest problem I had is that I have to disable the integrated and discreet GPU via device manager to get it to work without stuttering.

5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

My PSU is warm and never hot. I think you might need to add some fans inside the AGA to allow air to circulate better. The one fan in front of the AGA doesn’t pull in enough air to the back.

6. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Do you have the laptop lid closed or open. Make sure to have the laptop lid a little open as it will help dissipate some heat.

7. rickdeckard

Reputations:
    I think you're right, gonna maybe try cutting a little access port and put 1 of my 2 USB fans inside the case. Alternately though, I'm eyeballing the Corsair SF450 which interestingly has its fan on the opposite side so would exhaust the hot air out the other side of the AGA (more hole drilling) instead of on top of the GPU backplate and also allow me to use standard 3 and 4-plug case fans. Decisions, decisions.

8. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

It’s not the PSU that gets hot. The GPU backplate get super hot to the point you can cook an egg on it. This heat gets transferred over to the aluminum PSU casing. If you touch the GPU backplate, the hottest spot on the backplate is directly underneath the massive 2080ti die and sits directly across from the PSU fan. The backplate acts as a passive heatsink on many RTX cards. I know the FE cards use it to dissipate some of the heat. The PSU that is on there sucks air in , so having the fan on that side is a good thing. The issue is not enough cool air pushed to the back of the casing so the PSU fan is drawing air that is already hot from the GPU backplate and not able to cool the PSU unit itself. Just add two 92mm fans or even larger in front of the factory fan. This will allow the air to flow further back to the PSU location. Look at my pics of the fans from post before.

I have fiddled with this for quite some time and posted my trials and tribulations and got bantered with my “almost dangerous” mods! This AGA was built around blower style setup and these drastic mods are needed. Add some fans inside!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    rickdeckard likes this.
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    heatsinks do get warm, also the one in the AGA. It even gets warm with a meager 1050TI in it. To be honest, the PSU used in the AGA is kinda poor its not even 80plus bronze certified. It has tine heatsinks on the PSU PCB itself. in the and I just replaced it with a unit from one of myt desktop PC's.

Anyway the PSU gets warm, its not ebcause of the backplate. That backplates can get quite hot I agree, but so does the PSU.

10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I do agree it produces it own heat but explain why I can play for hours and my PSU is just warm to touch and also the backplate of my RTX2080ti card is warm to touch now also. I know it attributed to the GPU card backplate causing it to be even hotter and with the PSU fan injesting hot air already fit will make the PSU unit have no chance of cooling down. Do you have a RTX 2080ti in your AGA with fans?

Ask Richdechard how hot that backplate gets on the RTX2080ti cards and specifically the hottest location should be right behind the fan vents in PSU

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019