*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am using a custom fan curve but not OC as the FPS is solid 60 and occasionally dips to 56 on 2560x1440 with all games with resolution modifier set 120. The highest I have seen my GPU card fans spin is around 2100~rpms. I don’t find the need to OC the card and stress it when gains will be marginal. I am not looking to break any records nor I care about graphics score with bench testing. Simply want to cool the card as much as I can without watercooling it. Assassin Creed Origins I have it set to 140% the resolution modifier and it’s still at 61fps.

2. dsmrunnah

dsmrunnah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I noticed the majority of the coil whine on my AGA was coming from the PSU. So I swapped the internal PSU fan with an extra Noctura I had laying around and this didn't really seem to help. So investigated more and found that at least on my PSU, the fan was very very close to the 3M protective sleeve on large capacitor on the board. I simply cut off the part of the sleeve that was hanging past end of the capacitor and this took care of the majority of the noise coming from it. I ended up swapping in a Corsair RM850X PSU. The fan on it doesn't even kick on during use (other than the initial test spin when you boot up). Corsair says it will kick on at 40% load on the PSU, which a single RTX 2080 won't even come close to touching:

[​IMG]

If you're wondering why I went with such a big PSU, it's because I actually bought it for my desktop build in which I have another EVGA 2080 for it to run in SLI with the one currently in my AGA (https://imgur.com/AUdOBRU).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. dsmrunnah

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback! We have different card versions, so I was just curious as too how much different my GPU cooler was as well as me not having the lid on mine. For me 2100rpms is 70% fan speed, I can stress test my GPU and keep it around 55-56C with the fans spinning around 2000rpms, though this is a bit loud for my taste. If I run them at 50% (1500rpm), temps usually stay around 60-62C but the noise is much more bearable. At 40% (1200rpm) the fans are silent and the GPU barely hits 65C. During gaming it's typically 2-3C less than when I stress test it for an extended time. All of this testing is with my GPU overclocked to 2025MHz peak. At stock clocks, the temperatures are even lower.

I game at 3440x1440 when I'm on the AGA, and see about 10-25% gain in FPS over my internal 1080 at the same resolution. The higher gain comes from games where I'm GPU limited, and the lower gain is where my CPU might be the bottleneck. I tested this by varying the overclock on my CPU to see if it affected the FPS gap, and on certain games it did. I hooked it up to my LG OLED in the living room and ran it at a full 4K on Witcher 3 with Ultra Settings (minus hairworks) and averaged low 60fps (52 low/80 high). I'm excited to see what it can do in a desktop.

I have some benchmarks I tested back to back between the internal 1080 and the 2080 at same resolution, same settings, to see how much of a gain I actually got. For the most part, the higher the resolution I tested on, the higher the gain I got. I will finish the testing, organize my results, and post them up on here.

4. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah it’s definitely overkill for the AGA the PSU rated at that power level! That EVGA card is thick! With the lid off yeah you should have no issues with cooling.

For some reasons these RTX cards works better the higher the resolution. That’s why I have the modifier in game increase to 120-140%

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    dsmrunnah likes this.
  5. dsmrunnah

Reputations:
    Yeah there was no way to fit the lid on without some heavy modification. It's a 2.75 slot card, they have a 2 slot version, but I wanted the extra cooling. I made sure the mother board I bought has the space for two 2.75 slot cards though :)

cn555ic likes this.
  6. rickdeckard

rickdeckard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You've got the right idea here, there's a ton of heat focused at the top of my AGA but zero ventilation, the PSU and card backplane are too hot to touch even though my GPU doesn't go above 74C. I think I'm gonna drill out some vent holes too and rest a couple of these on top.

7. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When your wiring the fans if the wires are 4 pins just use the yellow and black wire and connect it to the red and black wire of the AGA fan at the front.

I chose to total encase my additional fans inside of the casing but your method can work to draw the hot air out.

8. rickdeckard

Reputations:
    Did you just freehand drill the holes or melt them with an iron or something else? I'm thinking melt would create the least mess but either way is gonna be tedious.

9. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use a lego template with some doubles side tape and tape it to top to make it neat because the location of the AGA the only view is the top and not the sides! Lol

The sides I was lazy and did mostly free hand

10. rickdeckard

Reputations:
    That's pretty darn slick but you know what screw it I'm just gonna bore 3" holes in the top, slap on simple wire grills and lay 80mm fans over the holes, might as well go for maximum exhaust directly over those radiator fins! Don't have much to lose, as you said these AGA's were only designed for blower-style cards so the ventilation is radically insufficient for these RTX cards that send all the hot air straight into the case.