*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. tom_mai78101

tom_mai78101 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I finally was able to get my Alienware 13 R1 to at least work well with Asus Nvidia RTX 2070 Turbo, so here are my steps (and yes, I do love my bullet points):

1. All of the steps mentioned in page 384 (near the bottom) don't really work well with Alienware 13 R1. They work with other Alienware laptops starting with R2 and up.
    2. Starting from scratch, I put my graphics card into the amplifier, plugged my external monitor into the amplifier, (here, it's AGA from here on out), but did not plug in the wire to the laptop.
    3. I turned on my laptop, login, and let every startup app finish their things (Steam updates, etc.).
    4. I went ahead and install the AGA drivers for my laptop (using my service tag and downloading only the AGA drivers matching my model).
    5. I opened up Nvidia GeForce Experience, tick all the options to automatically update drivers.
    6. Seeing how Nvidia GeForce Experience is not fetching any drivers, I restarted the laptop.
    7. After all startup apps are finished, Nvidia GeForce Experience automatically started downloading and prompting me to install the latest drivers. (Here, I do not know if the downloaded driver is a laptop mobile driver, or a desktop driver).
    8. After installing the driver, I turned off my laptop.
    9. I plug in the AGA to my laptop.
    10. I booted up the laptop.
    11. After all startup apps have finished, I went to the Device Manager, and see I have Microsoft Basic Video Adapter.
    12. I let it automatically fetch and install the latest drivers. Windows 10 calls to the drivers distribution channel per Windows Update. Here, it gathers information and downloads the necessary drivers I was missing.
    13. After it finished installing, it prompted me that the Nvidia RTX 2070 drivers are installed. (Here, basically, I installed the same latest drivers 2 times, one with AGA plugged in, one without AGA plugged in.)
    14. Rebooting the laptop for the last time.
    15. My external monitor now displays something. I'm back to dual monitors setup!

That's all.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It’s new and hard to open at first. Use a little Vaseline on the contact points of the cover to the casing to lubricate it a drop and it will open more easily.

I can open mine easily now.

3. cn555ic

Reputations:
    This little simple vent modification to the top of the AGA casing helps so much to dissipate the heat. The location of the vents is where the cover gets the warmest on my AGA. I can actually feel hot air coming though the holes. Now the area feels so much cooler. Temps run cooler on the card too. The new RTX cards have the heatsink radiator fins facing on top of the card. I am not sure if it’s the same for the GTX cards as some cards have the blower style fans.
    C1A5608C-41E8-4EE5-8E4C-7EAD4A5A3A43.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  4. tom_mai78101

tom_mai78101 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My RTX card is a blower fan design, and the (hot?) air comes out next to my HDMI output.

I don't know how you all managed to get the RTX card hot. :(

5. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That’s how they all work - they are designed to pull in cool air from the case and shoot it out as hot air out the mounting bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Zotac 2080AMP in action. OFC it won't fit, this thing is HUGE. Out of the box it has boost clock of 1830Mhz, little bit higher than FE. Try the cute OC Scanner from nvidia and it bump to around 1900Mhz. On top of it, it runs so silent despite being OCed and the temperature is only around 65-66*C under stress-test
    IMG_0116(1).jpg

7. cn555ic

Reputations:

Overclock the card and play games on ultra settings with 144hz refresh rate and see how hot it gets. I seen my card get as high as 78-79c which is acceptable with Nvidia standards but I don’t feel comfortable with those temps.
    The AGA is too small of an enclosure to dissipate heat. With the cover open the card operates very cool without any modifications needed but asthetically not appealing for me.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  8. cn555ic

Reputations:

Stress test temps and actual gaming temps vary so much with my testing.

9. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

That is hotter than my card gets when fully maxed out and I haven’t made any case modifications, replaced fans, or added new ones. Just the stock AGA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. cn555ic

Reputations:

What card are you using ?
    Either way my Nvidia RTX 2080ti card now runs at 55c with the cover closed on max ultra settings on any game with all my modifications. The division runs at 59c.

It might not be for you but it worked for my setup.