*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Tried to piss the same way as my other cat but I jumped and saved my PC.

2. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Alienware amp works great with the new RTX cards and very little bottleneck using the new cards. This AGA is one fantastic add on. I am very happy with my purchase. It has taken my laptop to another level that can’t be achieved with any other amplifier.

I am in the process of modifying the amp by changing out the stock fan with a Noctua NF-A9 FLX fan and then use the stock fan and attaching it to the side vent with glue on the left side of the graphic card to vent air out. Hopefully the stock fan will pull enough air out of the case and induce cooler temps for the 2080ti graphic card. Keep you posted E29D399F-E114-4088-B06E-13232040DDD3.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    MSGaldenzi likes this.
  3. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whenever you get the fan setup, post up. I really want to swap out the noisy stock front fan. I had been leaving it out but the 1080ti gets pretty hot with no fan.

4. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    put the stock fan pushing out air, you just have to turn it, that works for me. and yes, you can change it with a noctua fan. also you can add more fans, my 1080ti have 3 inputs to add fans

5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The PSU vents blow hot air onto the backplate of the graphic card. I want fresh air to be push into the unit by the front fan and then utilize the one I have mounted on the side vent to draw the hot air out from the PSU unit and graphic card out. The con of Alienware amp is that there is no heat plate between the PSU unit and the backplate of the graphic card. The fan towards the front is too far of a distance to pull the air fast enough. This is ofcourse in theory Until I see the temps. I am waiting for delivery of my Noctua fan.

6. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

The Noctua NF-A9 FLX is direct replacement at 92mm. From all the reviews I have read on the fan, it’s much quieter than the stock fan. No modifications needed except connecting wires to the original wire. The Noctua fan comes with 3 wires. RED, Black and yellow. We Only use the black And red. Yellow is not used. If your going to use two fans just connect the wires in series.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    MSGaldenzi likes this.
  7. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The PSU vents out the back, the fan on the inside is an intake
    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

propeldragon likes this.
  8. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Yes I am aware of that after I posted that! I will see if that middle vent works to remove more hot air and lower my GPU temps. If not then I will remove it. My modification of fan was solely to change out the stock fan to a much quieter fan. Then I had the extra fan and it got me thinking to see what I can do with it! Lol

I like to tinker with stuff. You should see my car with nitrous and methanol injection!

9. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here is the final installation. Noctua fan is pretty quiet and nice quality. The colors on the fan is not my taste but whatever!

BD85C72C-5132-4922-B7BF-B25759EBFB9D.jpeg 1A581D51-8B7C-4F49-B42B-87EC4A941308.jpeg

Before temps was 67-68c GPU

Temps now 64c. :)

Have to test the temps some more on games I usually play. Right now playing Assassin Creed Odessey the temperature of the 2080ti on 1440p maxed out settings is floating from 60-64c and no higher. The cut scenes raises the temps to 64c and then it drops back down to 61-62c.

Division typical temps are 67-68. After modification temps 64-65. Some slight improvement.

10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have tested the extra fan I am using to ventilate air out of the AGA encasing and it works. Such a small enclosure removing hot air out is always a good thing. Best scenario would be leaving the cover open all the time to dissipate the heat generated by the card.
    I am not sure if changing out the factory fan to a Noctua fan helped reduce the temps alone as I added both modifications at the same time and monitored the temps.

Right now I am VERY happy with the AGA. Anyone on the fence about purchasing the AGA, you won’t be disappointed. Just make sure you get either a GTX1080ti or at least RTX2080 and if you have extra money RTX2080ti to take advantage of it. There is very little bottleneck using the AGA with a 7700HQ. With the AGA enjoy all games on ultra settings without having to worry about your laptop temps!

LMAO My rig has a total of 14 fans keeping it cool! OMG. I guess I am a FAN-atic

Laptop internal fans 2
    Laptop cooler pad 5
    Opolar vent fans 2
    AGA 3 fans
    Nivdia RTX2080ti 2