*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Got my dock put together - had to get a Dremel and hacksaw to make some holes. The most annoying part was making holes and adding standoffs for the 2 pcbs (one for AGA and one for Sonnet TB3 dock) to line them up with the rear expansion slots. The AGA riser card with the AGA connector and USB ports was a pain. Glad to report it all works as expected. My laptop now has Blu Ray drives, 10 Gbps Ethernet, and of course, a 1080 Ti.

Future project, liquid cooling the GPU, PLENTY of space for that....couldn't find any better suited case for the project. IMG_20181027_174616.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

That’s some custom work there! Nice job

3. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I mean, I was really just cutting one hole and screwing in some others into a standard ATX case. And soldering one power harness. But yes, it was the bravest I have been with computer stuff to date haha. I would not pay me to do metal work....bit of a hack job :)

Now I need to come up with more stuff to fill all that empty space! Or figure out a smaller case that is better suited to this. I need 5x Expansion slots, that is the challenge, you are always going to be in a tower form factor to get that it seems - MAYBE a HTPC/desktop case. If I was redoing it, I would have moved the TB3 stuff down a slot or 2 so that the GPU is not as crowded. Bad planning on my part but not an issue once I watercool and get the big shroud/cooler out of the way. This case will be easy to watercool in, 240mm rad up front with plenty of space for the pump/res. My old desktop was in a Corsair 750d, the big brother case to this one.

4. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @cookinwitdiesel That looks amazing! Also I am back, lol This time with a 13r3 instead of the 15r3 I had. Long story is back a few posts I will be going AGA and large monitor again. Probably not the Alienware ultra wide again It was good in some games but in others the ultrawide just stretched things and it looked awful

5. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This does not seem to apply to my current 17r4 (1060 internal) with AGA w/1080ti. I am currently using nvidia driver 398.82 as Umar suggested to me a few months ago and it all seems to work great. I also use and external gaming monitor connected to an AGA DisplayPort and only project to it (asus vg248qe 144hz, 1080p).

Maybe this is only for new 20 series nvidia gpu's???

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    More reasons to avoid RTX and GFE. Probably @j95 can make a modded inf.

8. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like the GFE, am i missing something. Like I know it sends information to Nvidia but like so does windows, and facebook listens to your mic, so you can't really avoid that kind of crap while also being a PC gamer unless you wanna suffer through linux, so whats the big deal. I kinda like the optimization option, occasionally it gets it wrong but for the most part, it works decently and i really dig how it'll show FPS counter in most games.

9. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I just find it to be an annoying software that takes up space. I would imagine the optimization has come a long way since it's inception (early days had trouble figuring out what was right for mobile graphics), but even then, I can figure out what's best for me. The auto-update functionality it has, while disable-able, is bothersome. Plus, I have no use for the additional features like Ansel or Shield. And if I need something like an FPS counter, Riva-Tuner does the job much better.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh lol yeah i use a shield too. Wow I forgot about that function. I should use it more XD

I do like rivatuner though, good point.

Any way fair enough :D