*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow major price gouging going on eBay for the RTX 2080ti cards. All reputable vendors are sold out and only place to find them is on eBay. Prices are 500-700 over the actual cost. :(

Performance the 2080 FE is comparable to the 1080ti but with Turing. I was thinking about returning the 1080 for the 2080 FE. Anyone have the 2080 card?

2. oakley1261

oakley1261 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello All,

I have been using the AGA with a 13 r3 for the past 2 years. Its been working great, but I recently upgraded to a 15 R4. Now I'm having an issue. With turning it on.

With the 13 r3, the power button was on the side and easy to push without having the laptop fully open. But with the 15 R4, it's in the middle under the screen. The laptop itself sits under one of my monitors, so it's a pain to turn on once I plug it it.

My question is, has anybody figured out a way to have the AGA tell the laptop to power up? Or any other methods that may work without physically pushing the power button on the laptop?

I have tried Wake on Lan, but there is no setting for it in the bios. I also tried USB wakeup with powershare enabled, but nothing will turn it on from a powered down state.

I find it unfortunate that Dell would not allow us to use the Wake on Lan feature, as that would make it super simple to power on the laptop once plugged into the AGA.

Anyway, any advice, or ideas that others have used or tried would be helpful.

Thanks!

3. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry mate, you’re S-O-L. The power button must be pressed- the only option I can think of would be to hack in a secondary power button that you can wire to the outside of the laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Very annoying considering that the USB-C/TB3 docks from Dell have power buttons built into them that can wake my Precision 5520 I use for work.

5. oakley1261

oakley1261 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's sad. I would have figured something would have worked. I only hope in the future the release a new AGA that has a power button. And I don't know, maybe provides power to the laptop as well?

Anyway, I guess I will have to think about adding a button. Possibly in a recessed hole so it can't accidentally be pushed.Maybe next to the power plug on the rear shroud. Or, I guess I could get a bigger desk and re arrange everything.

Thanks!

6. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I originally wanted the GTX 1080ti but they were out of stock at Best Buys but they had the GTX1080 in stock so I bought it. I felt little buyers remorse after because I could have ordered it from another vendor the GTX1080ti but I didn’t! I started digging into pricing and the GTX1080ti which I originally wanted is only 150 dollars cheaper than the RTX2080. The RTX 2080 FE performs a drop better than the GTX1080ti and has the new turring technology so I think I am going to exchange for it and forfeit additional cost to buy it. I am going this evening to pick it up. The RTX 2080ti is not in stock with any reputable vendor, plus it is beyond my budget. The only way to get today is through resellers looking to capitalize on the demand for it on eBay.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  7. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tell me about it. It's stupid to not have such a feature with a laptop that's designed to run with an external graphics card with USB ports which is, in essence, a docking station.

I'm actually surprised they haven't revised the AGA yet. Its...what? going on 6 years old now? No...5? I'd hope the next version (if there is one) would have some design improvements such as: more PCI lanes, ability to power the laptop, TB3 and/or USB 3.1gen2 port(s), taller design to allow usage with all graphics cards, and maybe even an extra PCI slot for PCIe SSDs / 10gig NIC cards, and so on. The HP external GPU chassis has a hard drive bay inside which is genius - it would be great if the next revision had room for up to a 3.5" drive and a 2.5" bay.

The 2080ti probably isn't worth the extra cost in the AGA - but I haven't seen any definitive testing to be sure.

8. oakley1261

oakley1261 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Honestly, 4x lanes is enough. I wouldn't want a super thick cable for the thing. If they did upgrade it, I think they would go 8x, and that would be perfect. It would only be around a 2-3% reduction. I don't feel I need an additional PCI slot in it tho. A hard drive would be novel but not really neccesary, I would prefer they keep them cheap and continue to dominate Razer in perfomance, and price on the External graphics department.

In regards to 2080ti performance, there won't be much of a reduction. 4x is barely fully used by even new generation cards.
    Here is a website that tested a bunch of different PCI express configurations and versions. Look at the PCI 4x 3.0.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_PCI-Express_Scaling/6.html

9. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The AGA wont be updated any time soon. Alienware is already testing and validating it for PCIe 4.0 (which it is able to handle apparently when PCIe 4.0 is out). They said they only reason they would update would be for that and it is not needed.

10. rickdeckard

rickdeckard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply and I did consider many times taking the thing apart and just reapplying the entire CPU/GPU cooling system since Dell's QA is so shoddy with these 'high end' laptops but alas, I'm so lazy. Interestingly, on a whim I used that downgrade process from way back to put the original mobile 1080 vBIOS on there and damn, problem ENTIRELY solved. I was climbing above 83C easily with Titanfall 2 maxed out in all graphics options but now it's in the low 70's with no noticeable loss of performance. This nifty solution will get me by until the 2080 comes down a bit, 800 US on Amazon is a big pill to swallow.