*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Why do you say this mate???

c69k likes this.
  2. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Because there is no PCIe bottleneck. 4 lanes of PCIe Gen 3 are more than sufficient to run any current card. There is a performance hit when using the AGA to drive the laptop display, but when running an external monitor, it matches the performance you would get in a desktop with similar specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judal57 likes this.
  3. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok. I get it, thanks.

With and external monitor on my 17r4 I am getting a very nice performance boost with my AGA/gtx1080ti with all non-VR games/apps. Like ~2x the FPS performance compared to my internal gtx1060. I also like the benefit of lower laptop temps since the AGA removes the load of the internal 1060. I don't think I have ever heard my laptop fans switch on now I'm using the AGA. Of course the AGA fan goes all the time but this really is not too bad and at least it is keeping my AGA's 1080ti temps down.

However, improvements with my Oculus Rift and all VR games/apps is a lot less, ~10-20% (depending on the app). Still, a very nice improvement though. This is with the headset hdmi and its usb plus 2x sensor usb's connected to the AGA. I have tried moving the usb connections back to my laptop usb ports but this does not make any difference. I think (but do not really know) that this is because my internal cpu (i7 7700hq 2.8/3.6 ghz) is now the bottleneck with graphics intensive VR apps. Esp. those apps that do not fully utilise the cpu's multi-cores efficiently. One of my highest demanding VR apps (X-Plane 11) is planning to incorporate Vulcan later this year so hopefully this will help.

Maybe we need a revised AGA that also includes the ability to add a better CPU. That would really help make my 17r4 a lot more future-proof, lol!

4. Klk450

Klk450 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Exactly why I ordered a refurb AW 17 R5 with the intel 8950HK, I love my AGA because it's silent and offers better performance than any internal graphics card but my current AW CPU is becoming a bottleneck.

5. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    While there is not a realistic difference with the 10x0 cards (less than 5% performance difference? - margin of error stuff) the more powerful the card, the more that gap will spread. For example, a new generation of cards that are up to 50-100% more performance. Overclocking will also grow the gap.

In the future, I recommend citing sources and testing to back up your point instead of just calling people idiots - you may be surprised to learn that some of them aren't that stupid and are even knowledgeable and helpful.

6. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    And your argument is based on straight up conjecture. Until the cards have been tested in both desktops and the AGA, there is no source or test to cite.

7. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    You are right, I am giving people advice before they spend $1k+ on a GPU for their laptop. I would hope anyone looking to spend that kind of money is going to wait to see what experience they can expect vs being a guinea pig.

The only conjecture I offered was in my first sentence (the 5% part), the rest is pretty straight forward math. The faster the GPU is running (either through a faster architecture or overclocking), the more bandwidth it will take to feed it fresh instructions. As more bandwidth is needed, a fixed pipe will become a bottleneck to performance. I would be curious to see what the peak and average GPU utilization are for a few different scenarios with the AGA:

GPU 1 at stock clocks in AGA
    GPU 1 overclocked in AGA
    GPU 2 (new architecture) in AGA

In addition to looking just at FPS, you need to look at GPU utilization as well. Although your FPS will go up with each test case above, if GPU utilization is not staying the same across them, then the PCIe link is a likely bottleneck. I kept the CPU as a constant here but you could also throw in a 2nd set of all of the above with overclocked CPU (first runs being stock CPU). That just becomes a lot of data and variables to track and can make it harder for some to follow.

It is known and accepted that the pipe can limit the performance, that is why the AGA stomps all over any TB3 based solution in terms of peak performance and performance consistency.

8. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Your original post that I responded to had nothing to do with the new RTX cards, it had to do with overclocking, which works just fine with the current gen and the AGA.

judal57 likes this.
  9. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the AGA is not the bottleneck, is your cpu my friend that is why the gpu is not at 100% of load. and that depends on the game

10. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    I am not personally having any issues, I primarily play games from Blizzard which have always been more CPU dependent and don't tax the GPU. I am simply providing advice and an opinion.