*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    On the Optimus systems it can drive the internal display off the iGPU which is probably what allows the dGPU to be disabled. I would imagine on the G-Sync systems since the internal display is driven directly off of the dGPU it has to keep that fired up to power the internal screen in paralell to the AGA powering the external displays.

Grechie and rinneh like this.
  2. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK, I got my nice new Asus VG248QE 144Hz monitor (plus data port cable) yesterday. I gotta say that by adding this to my AGA/gtx1080ti (Zotac 1080ti Blower, with 1x hdmi and 3x data ports), and choosing to display it only, does improve my PC's performance quite a bit compared to my AW 17r4's internal gtx1060, and monitor.

Sorry, no benchmarks right now but non-VR games/apps are about ~2x faster/better FPS. Using 144Hz certainly makes non-VR flight/racing sims look buttery smooth. Also, it does not take up as much room on my desktop than I thought it would. Now I luv using this external monitor a lot more than my laptop's! I also now find that using a USB mouse works a lot better than the touchpad. For some reason, my AW FX lights go crazy when using the touchpad with this setup. Plus, the mouse (with touchpad disabled) is better/easier to use anyway imho.

VR games/apps with my Oculus Rift (with 2x sensors) are not that much better FPS-wise but I have been able to improve this a little by adjusting my Nvida control panel 3D app settings, like AA up a bit more than I could before and still maintain good FPS performance. Also, I did not have any problems using the AGA's USB ports for all my Rift headset/sensors. This was def a problem with my other Dell WMR system. Even Dell support told me to avoid using the AGA's USB for my Dell WMR headset's USB.

I did try diff monitor resolutions and refresh rates but this did not make much difference. I think that this is now because my AW 17r4 CPU (i7 7700hq 2.8/3.6 GHz, with 32 Gb ram btw) is now the bottleneck. With some flight sims like X-Plane 11 (now 11.25rc2) this may improve when they go to Vulcan, maybe later this year, and are then able to better utilise multi-cores. Alternatively, I still may move my gtx1080ti into a better desktop PC later, but not right for now.

Overall, (except for the noisy USB hub, lol!) I am now pretty happy with my AGA/1080ti combo and I appreciate all the help I got from supporters, like rinneh, on this thread. Many thanks guys. Cheers.

Aside; I still think that if you already have an AW laptop with at least a gtx1060, and are mainly into VR, adding an AGA with gtx1080ti does not make a lot of economic sense imho. Although I get a big boost in non-VR performance, I may just go back to my stock gtx1060 with this external monitor.

Aside #2; I just tried using my new monitor plugged into my AW display port without the AGA and I got similar good results. Go figure????

Aside #3; Went back to AGA w/gtx1080ti again and got similar results. All Non-VR games/apps are much improved and look great on my new Asus 144hz monitor. All my VR games look fine with my Oculus Rift but performance gains on resource hungry sims like X-plane 11.25rc2 and Realflight 8 are not much better. I think that XP11 may go to Vulcan later this year so that may help a lot because neither of these sims fully utilise mult-core cpu's. Anyway, I'll stick with the AGA for now. I luv my new monitor and at least I kinda feel that I am getting some value from my Zotac gtx1080ti blower.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Mjozko, cookinwitdiesel and rinneh like this.
  3. Hstanez

Hstanez Newbie

Reputations:
    Just successfully installed the Graphic Amplifier to the Alienware 17 R5 with Core-i9. It took me such a long time to get it right, because the Nvidia laptop driver wasn't able to pick up the GTX1080Ti and the graphic amplifier wasn't detected. I tried doing loopback mode to run the GTX1080Ti on the internal screen, but it didn't work. So the result is using external monitor. (direct output from the graphic card, not going from the laptop, because it only picks up the internal GTX1080). I believe this could be an interesting result to see, as I have heard from other people saying that the CPU limits the performance on the eGPU.

For the test, I only ran Fire Strike 1.1. (Sorry that I am not a professional, I only ran the test to see if there is any difference.)

On-board internal GTX1080 Benchmark:
    [​IMG]

Graphic Amplifier with ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Turbo. Non-overclocked and Overclocked Results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Overclocked using ASUS GPU Tweak II:
    - GPU Clock: 1756 MHz (+174)
    - Memory Clock: 11527 MHz (+527)
    - Fan Speed up to 100%
    - Highest GPU Temperature at 67C; Average at 64C

After all, I see that there is about 10% decrease from what it can achieve while installed in a desktop. However, there is about 25-30% performance increase compare to the internal GTX1080.

So far I can understand is, there shouldn't be any bottleneck for the Graphic Amplifier and the OEM PSU is definitely enough for the card alone.

In addition: This is the result of my old Aorus X7 Pro running with 2 GTX 970M SLI. This is quite amazing to see the difference from the mobile graphic card to a deaktop-grade card.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    TomC69 likes this.
  4. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Curiously, that is almost the exact same GPU score and almost exactly 50% better CPU score vs my laptop with the same GPU in the AGA. So I would assume your rig is running well (or both of ours are equally weird :) )

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13682800

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  5. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Glad to hear this is working well for you guys. Benchmarks are great indicators but the real test is when you run some high demand games/apps and see what real world improvements, like FPS, you get. Many thanks for keeping us updated on all this.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  6. melwilya

melwilya Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello there!

I would be really grateful if any of you could help me out or suggest me something because I have no idea what the hell is happening.

I have an Alienware 15 R2 with GTX 970M in it. I bought a Graphics Amplifier to makes things better with an EVGA 1060SC.

I properly seated the card in the GA, connected the power supply as it should be (actually I tried with the brown and yellow as well, nothing changed the fact). So, my problem is, ""unrecognised device in graphics amplifier" all the time. I tried with multiple versions of BIOS, Graphics Amplifier software and Command Center (It's happening in Windows 10). I get this message all the time when booting up the notebook. I tried with a GTX960 Windforce, and an old GTX660, same error message all the time. If I connect something to the USB ports on the back of the amplifier it's working and I can switch the colors as well in the command center. The cables, connectors, everything is fine, no bent pins, damaged connectors. What should I do next? Thank you for your answer.

7. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hard to say for sure but maybe check the connection(s) between the AGA power supply and the gpu board. Sometimes these get a bit loose and need reseating. If this does not help I recommend contacting Dell Support. They are usually very helpful imho. It could be that your AGA is faulty and Dell will probably send you a replacement unit. Unfortunately you may also find out that your gpu is not supported. You should check this list before buying;

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...mplifier-supported-graphics-card-list?lang=en

Good luck sorting this out.

8. Mjozko

Mjozko Newbie

Reputations:
    Way too early to even speculate I guess but is there any indication that these new RTX cards are/aren’t likely to work with the amplifier?

9. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don’t see any reason they wouldn’t. There may be some bottlenecking over the AGA connection though. I’m sure we’ll see some benchmarks once the cards are actually released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.