*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dontezrezzed

Dontezrezzed Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all,

This may have been asked, but some games seem to only use my intel hd card rather than the 1080 I have through the AGA. 1) can I disable the intel card safely? 2) is an external monitor necessary for peak performance?
    Thanks

2. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1. No. You can use the Nvidia control panel to designate individual programs to run on integrated or discrete graphics, however.

2. Yes, but it may not matter depending on your situation. I have the 1080ti FE and 13r3 OLED 2560x1440 display and every game I have played (except Dey’s Ex) can run at Ultra settings in excess of 60 fps with the internal display. The 5-10% performance hit caused by routing the video back to the laptop isn’t noticeable because my 1080ti is able to maintain 1440p at greater than the 60 Hz refresh rate without breaking a sweat. If you’re going to use an external monitor I highly recommend going with a gsync capable display.

Dontezrezzed likes this.
  3. Dontezrezzed

Dontezrezzed Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, that's what I figured. Like you I have the 17r3 with oled monitor. So I've had no issues with running ultra on any game at 60fps. However, I am now having issues in WoW of all games, I am only getting at most 40 fps with settings turned down. However, if I connect my old monitor which was only 1600x900 max res I get 100fps with max settings. Any suggestions? It's like wow is running off the HD card even though designated to run off gpu.

4. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Open the Nvidia control panel, find WoW on the list of apps and set to run on the gtx 1080.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/ans...ow-to-change-nvidia-optimus-graphics-settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Dontezrezzed

Dontezrezzed Newbie

Reputations:
  6. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You could try plugging a headless hdmi dongle into your AGA. This should force it to utilize the card in the AGA rather than onboard video.

7. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The Intel iGP is ONLY used with the built in screen as that is the only one connected to it.

8. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    He’s asking about gaming on the built in screen

9. kqmaverick

kqmaverick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 1070 in my laptop and an AGA with a 1080ti, when I get home tomorrow I will run some VR benchmarks on my Samsung Odyssey and report my results. I had never bothered before because SkyrimVR ran great on my AGA/1080ti and I did not feel the need but it looks like there is some question to if the AGA effect VR performence.

Mjozko likes this.
  10. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK, please bare with me, I'm not the most PC expert on the block and +60yo. So, let me get this straight;

If I buy an inexpensive ($100-200) external monitor (which I do not really need, and is going to just take up a lot of room on my not so spacious gaming desk) and hook this up to my gtx1080ti card in my AGA (say via its data display port) this should work ok? Am I better to use my 17r4's mini display port?

Then if I go to the win10 display settings I can project everything to the external monitor by have it turn off my 17r4 laptop screen. I cannot actually disable my internal intel graphics because it is integrated. However I believe that the only the laptop display uses it. I have all my 3d apps setup to use the higher powered nvidia gpu, including PhysX. I don't want to fully close my laptop screen because I still need access to its keyboard and trackpad for some VR flight and racing simulators and I don't really want to buy an external keyboard/mouse as well.

So, if I do all this I should first of all see a big performance improvement over my internal gtx1060 with the external monitor and the laptop monitor switched off? Also, then when I plug my oculus rift to the gtx1080ti in the AGA's hdmi, plus one of the aga usb ports, then 2x touch controller sensors to other AGA usb ports, I should see a big improvement in VR performance.

Does all this sound right? Thanks for your help.