*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The Titan Xp is more powerful :) Maybe not by a landslide like other configurations but still a boost and the best you can get. I assume he meant Xp vs Xc?

2. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello!!!

A question. I have an Alienware 17r4 GTX 1070 and I have a Graphics Amplifier + Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme
    I use the drivers downloaded from Nvidia (the latest drivers) for the GTX 1080 TI. The problem is that: when I start without the Graphic Amp, Windows 10 installs the drivers automatically for the Nvidia GTX 1070 from Windows Update (which is always a minor version to the latest published by Nvidia) and replaces the version of drivers that I use with the Graphic Amp. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Because when I reconnect the Graphic Amp + GTX 1080 TI, I have to reinstall the drivers that I downloaded from the Nvidia site. It's a crap ...

I tried this solution: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/win10-windows-update-prevent-installing-nvidia-drivers.401588/ But it does not work... :(

I can not find the way that when I start without the Graphic Amp, Windows does not automatically install the Windows Update drivers and use the drivers that are already installed. I can only block the automatic installation of all the updates, but I just want to block the automatic Nvidia driver installations only.

Some help???

Thanks in advance!!!! :)

3. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I have never had this issue but what I would try is:

1) use DDU to completely wipe and remove all nvidia drivers
    2) boot up normally without AGA and install mobile drivers
    3) shut down
    4) boot up WITH AGA
    5) at this point I would expect windows to try to find drivers for the 1080 Ti, once that settles down, then install 1080 Ti drivers you want

After all that is done, shut down, and boot up without AGA to see if you are getting desired behavior. Then shut down and boot with AGA to see if THOSE drivers are loading correctly. I always perform a graceful shutdown when adding or removing the AGA, this may help with driver smoothness on my end.

4. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alienware Graphics Amplifier with Oculus Rift - a very short review

I have an Alienware laptop; 17r4 i7 7700hq with gtx1060, 32gb ram. I bought an Alienware graphics amplifier (AGA) and Zotac 1080 ti blower to try to improve my VR performance of my flight and racing sims. With my oculus rift everything worked fine but I did not end up getting any significant VR FPS improvements. Just ended up being a rather large and noisy usb hub, lol!

I have read a number of reviews on the AGA and it only seems to add significant performance if you are using an external 2d monitor connected to the gpu's card in the AGA. I would have thought that the Rift would qualify as something similar but obviously not. Oh well, now I have a nice new gtx1080 ti for a future gaming PC build. In the meantime, my current 17r4 works very well with my Rift (much better than it did with WMR btw). I just need to lower graphics setting a bit on some sims (like x-plane 11.21 in VR).

5. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Something is wrong with your setup. You should see significant gains with the 1080ti vs the onboard 1060. What are your firestrike scores with each? Mine more than doubled with my FE 1080ti compared to the 1060, even while running the laptop display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TomC69

Reputations:
    I get good scores for both, and ya with the 1080ti it is about twice as high as with just the onboard 1060. The final outcome depends on its operating scenario. I'll try to explain the 3 diff ones I tested;

If I use an external monitor (I borrowed an HD monitor from a friend to test) I got significant performance improvements (~30% max) with non-VR games. This is not very useful for me right because I do not want to run an external monitor.

If I run non-VR games without an external monitor, so it just plays on my laptop's display, there is no significant performance improvement (~10% max). In fact, some simulators like realflight 8 (in non-VR mode) end up with poorer FPS performance (but still very playable).

If I run my VR system (Oculus Rift w/touch controllers) I do not get any significant performance improvements in any of my VR games (maybe ~5% max). Since all of my VR components are connected to the AGA, including the headset hdmi to the 1080ti card, I would have thought that this would have given similar improvements that I got with an external monitor. This was not the case for me so since the main purpose for buying the AGA and 1080ti was to improve my laptop's VR performance, this experiment has been a waste of time and money.

If anyone is running VR (vive, oculus, or wmr) with an AGA through a fairly modern Alienware laptop (with at least a 1050ti onboard) and a 1070-1080ti in the AGA, I would like to hear your experiences. Thanks.

7. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cant speak to VR, but my 1080ti gives significant gains over the 1060 even without the external monitor. Just for example, my 1060 can only manage ~40fps at 1080p while playing Deus Ex, while the 1080ti can run at 1440p at a constant 60fps. CoD Ww2 can run high 60 FPS at 1080p with the onboard video, my 1080ti can manage 60fps 1440p ultra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. TomC69

Reputations:
    Sounds like yours is working well for you with non-VR apps.

9. Y.U.KILL.ME

Y.U.KILL.ME Newbie

Reputations:
    hey everyone :)

I have the new 17 R5 i9 with GTX 1080.

if I got the AGA with a 1080ti, how much performance will I gain over the internal gtx1080, using an external 2k 144hz monitor

I wanna do that, so the monster CPU can enjoy the heatsink alone as I need it to be overclocked at 5ghz all time!!

thanks

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Check the benchmarks for games that you play for those cards. Thats what you need to know.