*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I see, I have only experienced OLED on phones and tablets so have yet to realize its real potential. I currently use 2 Dell 25" IPS screens (U2515h) attached to my AGA.

2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I appreciate the large amount of info you guys have conducted. And yeah I learned from searching around that the AGA is the best eGPU setup with its minimal performance loss. But I am curious about the mobile CPU vs desktop. Which @votehart provided a lot of info I can use to compare benchmarking websites with their desktop CPU results. I'm sure it'll also be minimal but I'll check when I'm on a desktop and not a phone and I'll report back what I gathered

3. valion99

valion99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought a EVGA 1080 TI SC2 to put into my Alienware Graphics Amplifier, to be used with my Alienware 13 R3. It's 'not approved' by Alienware as a compatible card, but I read some people having success with it. This is the first time trying a GPU in the amp, as I've been using it as a USB hub for the past 2 months with no issue. Sure enough it didn't work. I get the bootloop when the laptop boots with the amp connected. Laptop screen is blank, amp and laptop power up, then 5 sec later off.

AWR13 R3 KBL CPU, 32 GB RAM, 1060 GPU, 2 x 512 GB NVE Drives

Here is what I've troubleshooted:

- disconnect all USB devices from the hub, AW13 R3
    - disconnect all video cables from the AW13 R3
    - Power laptop on, then quick connect the amp. Windows boots, but then detects the amp and requests a reboot
    - AW13 R3 was on bios 1.2.4. I downgraded to 1.2.1, and tried all the way down to 1.0.8
    - Disabled UEFI
    - Renabled UEFI but enabled Legacy Boot ROM
    - Tried a Radeon RX 570 with the same bootloop
    - Tried EVGA 1080 TI SC2 in another PC and PC boots and card is detected. Also tried Radeon RX 570 in the same machine with positive results
    - Disabled on board gpu (INTEL) in Windows
    - Reinstalled AMP software
    - Ran DDU to remove all drivers and reinstalled
    - Tested a 1000W PSU with the AMP (same bootloop)
    - Ran Dell/AW diagnostics with FN+PWR. All pass
    - Tried to run FN+PWR with the AMP connected (same bootloop).

I did contact Dell for support. They suggested the FN+PWR and then wanted to remote control my machine to reinstall the drivers. I said no, and they proceeded to insist, then later kept me on hold for an hour 'researching' why the GPUs didn't work. They came back to me to say the AMP is fine, and my GPUs aren't compatible. The next day I tested a EVGA 1080TI FE and same results. Dell finally accepted that test and agreed to RMA.

Is there anything I missed regarding this AMP issue? All my testing leads to the AMP being the problem. Anyone else have success with a EVGA 1080 TI SC2 in the AMP with the AW13R3?

Thanks

4. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Not sure if its much help, but to get mine working I literally just went to the Dell supprt > Drivers > selected laptop. Went and downoladed the latest BIOS, AW Command Center and AGA drivers and the latest Nvidia drivers. Installed the BIOS. Then the AW Command center. Then AGA drivers. Then Nvidia drivers and everything simply worked. Seems a bit finnicky with the LED's matching or turning on, but it works perfectly when compared to benchmarks with other laptops with same specs

5. valion99

Reputations:
    Do you have the exact same gpu I tried? EVGA 1080TI SC2?

Dell is RMAing my amplifier.

6. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Nah I have the 1080ti founders edition. Just figured since I also just downloaded the newest drivers and updated a BIOS, figured it would help to know that they did at least work for me

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The SC2 is just a foundation edition board with a different cooler on it.

Seems your cable is faulty. at least your symptoms suggest that

valion99 likes this.
  8. valion99

Reputations:
    Got the new amplifier and it worked right out of the box with the FE card and SC2 gaming card.

a_lunatic likes this.
  9. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Has there been any measurable performance loss when using a AGA, a 7700HQ and a NVME SSD? Since the NVME SSD would use some PCIE lanes right, as well as the AGA

10. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The AGA is x4 directly off of the CPU. The NVME SSDs all come off of the PCH over the DMI interface - no conflict at all for bandwidth.

illuMinniti likes this.