*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    See that's what I like to hear. I've searched YouTube and there were some videos showing the 7700HQ vs the 7700K and it was showing like 20FPS short in the same games. Which is unrealistic. I do know the 7700HQ can hit like 99% usage in games but I don't think that's a big deal... I think I'll just check out my own results with my 4790K and 7700HQ but that'd really a pain since the 4790K is in an ITX case with 2 CLC

2. votehart

votehart Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Are the 20fps differences happening at much higher FPS and or at 1080p?

I’ve stopped benchmarking for the most part excluding basic post setup test to make certain temps, noise and performance is working right.

Another consideration when using the AGA is the laptop’s CPU runs much cooler. Mine never goes above 60 which means almost no fan noise.

I have had both setups and unless you are a competive gamer the laptop/AGA is great.

What laptop and GPU are considering?

3. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I already have an Alienware 15 R3 with GTX 1070 + 7700HQ. But I wanted to do 4K gaming so I got a 1080ti and order an AGA. I was looking for a simple desktop processor vs mobile processor with gaming comparison (though the variables would be a little inconsistent since the AGA has a little bit of performance loss. But I still feel like it would be neat to see the performance comparisons. Cuz other than benchmarks, I feel like the FPS should be very similar

4. votehart

Reputations:

Interesting. I pulled a 7133 on Firestrike Ultra today. I will run some FPS benchmarks and post. My Titan is from 2016 and runs almost identical to the 1080ti.

5. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    It is not the exact same setup, but my desktop with a 4770k at stock ran about 17% higher score than a mildly downclocked 6820HK (to avoid throttling) CPU/Physics score in 3DMark Fire Strike. The main hit with the AGA is not from the CPU change, it is from the PCIe x4 interface.

illuMinniti likes this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Again and I have to keep saying this, various tests have proven that 4X is hardly a bottleneck and only degrades performance for about 4%.at it's worst (in higher resolutions it becomes less)

What does degrade performance is using the internal screen vs an external screen on the AGA.

Posted it in another topic so you can search for it, I have used the same 1070GTX card in my 7700HQ laptop with an AGA and my desktop system and the scores where almost identical.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/

illuMinniti likes this.
  7. votehart

Reputations:
    These are from a quick benchmarks of games and stress test. Take for what it is worth.

AGA TITAN X PASCAL – 13 R3 7700HQ
    Titan – Undervolted to - .925 with 1999 clock and 327 Memory
    7700HQ – Undervolted to -.130

4K Monitor

Max Settings - all possible graphical settings set to highest option
    High Settings – AA turned off or at lowest settings and overall setting moved to 2nd highest option. This is sometimes High or Very High.

3DMark Firestrike Ultra - 7188

Division – Maxed Settings – 43
    Division – High Settings – 50

Far Cry 5 – Maxed Settings – 55
    Far Cry 5 – High Settings – 60

GTA 5 – Maxed Settings – 35
    GTA 5 – High Settings (Grass Normal) – 90 ish

Grid Autosport – Max Settings – 93

Hitman – Max Settings – 72

Watch Dogs 2 – Max Settings – Unplayable for me. Frames kept dropping to single digits
    Watch Dogs 2 – High Settings - Again unplayable

Unigine Heaven 4.0 – Max Settings - 40 FPS – Score of 1011 at 4K
    Unigine Heaven 4.0 – Max Settings – 143 - Score of 3618 at 1080p

Rise of Tomb Raider – Max Settings – 55
    Rise of Tomb Raider – High Settings - 69

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    illuMinniti likes this.
  8. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Do people use an AGA and the laptop screen?! I would think if you are going through the trouble - definitely use a bigger and better quality screen! (At least in the case of the screen on my AW 15 R3 - the screen I got is mediocre at best). You can get a decent 27" 4k screen for under $400 - and screen scan last a decade literally so the investment is sound. Ditto for mouse and keyboard.

9. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OLED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. votehart

Reputations:

OLED. I have a 4K external monitor I use with the AGA but anytime the OLED turns on it is truly striking.