*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Only if you pipe the signal back to the internal monitor. I had a mere 2% drop only compared to my desktop with the exact same card (graphics score).

Vasudev likes this.
  2. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Hey man, good to see you still around, I haven't been around much, or as much as I'd like. Hope all is well. Still in the NOVA/DC area? When did you update your User ID?

3. hans12321

hans12321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    i receaved the following error with my asus mars 760x2 in the device Manager

(Code 31) the System can´t load the Drivers..... can´t get it to work however i installed the nvidia Drivers properly...

Does anyone has an idea?

4. bhatto23

bhatto23 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I wanted somewhere to share my benchmark results, so here they are:
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/3032647
    I ran 3DMark Time Spy with an nvidia geforce gtx 1070, running in the graphics amplifier.
    Here are the rest of my specs: Alienware 17R3: Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.60 Ghz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M, and the 1080p panel.

gschneider likes this.
  5. a_lunatic

a_lunatic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    gschneider likes this.
  6. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    a_lunatic and bhatto23

I found your scores a little odd.

My AW15 r3 with a 1070 inside scores higher?
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2522615

My overall and graphics scores are higher. In fact my graphics score is higher than yours with a 9% OC?

I am not trying to rain on a parade. More trying to understand why its lower?

7. a_lunatic

a_lunatic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We got the 6700HQ so more of a bottleneck for us.

gschneider likes this.
  8. gschneider

Reputations:
    Even on the graphics score side of things?

I only wonder as I have a 1080ti in my amp I am curious at the loss I get...
    http://www.3dmark.com/spy/2729326

I am debating selling my AW15r3 and building a desktop with my 1080ti and an 8700k. maybe a ITX or mATX as I like small systems. Which is why I went laptop and amp.

I have however realised I rarely move my laptop, I don't game anywhere but my desk. A desktop and Surface Pro with just an M3 would actually fit my needs.

My monitor is athe Alienware 34" curved though trying to push 3440x1440p at 120hz is not easy for a 1070 so I got an AMO and 1080ti. I need to keep my future costs down. I was hoping for a laptop with more than 4 PCI lanes to the eGPU, I can't see what happening for a few years which is very annoying.

9. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had the same use case as you and did exactly that, went for a desktop and a smaller laptop/tablet for travel. I even have the same monitor as you, haha. Once you game ultra-wide, its hard to go back. I initially got the 17 because I travel about a month out of the year but I realized on my first or second trip of last year that I don't really game on trips. I like to enjoy the place that I am and traveling wears me out so much that once I get back to my hotel, I am ready for bed. Also lugging around the alienware was a major pita. I still have my 17 and just haven't gotten around to selling it, but I really use it less and less these days.

For the desktop I went with an i5-6600k and sli 1080s as I already had 1 1080 laying around from my amp. I think the i5 is bottlenecking me some as I can't really get over 85/90 FPS in R6Siege with max settings at 3440x1440. Prices on 6700k's havent dropped like I thought they would, but as soon as I see a cheap one, I'll probably grab it and toss it in there. it would be nice to get 120fps on the only shooter I play.

gschneider and Vasudev like this.
  10. gschneider

Reputations:
    lol that is amazing. The monitor is good isn't it.

What did you go for laptop wise? I travel twice a month and to be fair I only need playing movies and music just to chill out to. Like you I am far to tired to be fussed about playing a game.

I play quite a few shooters, plus dirt rally and some strategy games. I like to vary things.

Vasudev likes this.