*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Infinaris

Infinaris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I shut it down to plug it in.

2. MR2

MR2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone having their Keyboard going silly on the Amp, (if you use it as the USB hub) and having to unplug then re-plug in the Amp?

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks, going to check it out

Vasudev likes this.
  4. HoneyBadgerWolf

HoneyBadgerWolf Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an Alienware 15 R2 hooked up to the graphics amp with a reference gtx 1080 in it. Everything was working great until a few months ago my computer restarted overnight for a windows update. It then started going through a reboot loop everytime I would try and start the system with the amp connected. So what I did was install the latest bios which was 1.3.12 and that made things much worse. I eventually got things to work by rolling back to bios version 1.2.8 which works great. That didn't completely solve my problems though. I had to use an older version of an nvidia mobile driver because the newer versions of nvidias mobile drivers were not working with my gtx 1080.

So here is where I could use some help. I have always disconnected my AGA, booted up the laptop by itself and installed the mobile versions of the nvidia drivers, and then rebooted with the AMP connected. This is how I have been gaming. I have been reading around this massive forum and some people are installing the desktop versions of the nvidia drivers once the AMP is already hooked up. I tried doing this myself recently with the newest nvidia driver and it won't install because it says it is not compatible. I have read about windows causing issues with this, people using DDU to remove some of the desktop drivers, and then reinstalling PARTICULAR versions of the desktop nvidia drivers to get it working with the GTX 1080. Is there any real benefit to using desktop drivers when the mobile ones that I have installed seem to be working fine? If the desktop drivers are much better, then can someone please give me a simple walkthrough on what I need to do to get the proper desktop driver installed and working? Which is the newest nvidia desktop driver version that works? Any help would be very appreciated! Thank you!

EDIT: Just for added info, I looked under device manager and checked my current driver for the gtx 1080. It says the driver provider is NVIDIA, version 22.21.13.8514 from 7/30/2017. I have no idea if that is good or bad. My games play wonderfully, no errors in my system, but I wonder if I am losing out on performance by not having actually installed desktop drivers myself.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The problem is windows update. Make sure that drivers are not downloaded from windows update. That is the cause of the compatibility message. After that use DDU. Reboot and make sure the AGA is connected. Install a fresh Nvidia driver and you should be good. There is no distinction between laptop and desktop drivers anymore now by the way.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. morbidking

morbidking Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just throwing this out there I am trying to get rid of an amp with a pny gtx 1080

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vasudev likes this.
  7. ishtangli

ishtangli Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I followed your advice and disabled driver updates. Ran DDU, installed the Nvidia drivers and BAM. 388.13!

Thanks bro!

rinneh and Vasudev like this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No prob!

Vasudev likes this.
  9. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just a quick one.

My system is a 1070 with a g-sync panel.
    How many of you with amps and a g sync panel have any issues with using the amp ?

Can I use a monitor with g-sync (I have an Alienware 34” monitor with g-sync coming) and have no issues?

Just want to make sure that I don’t end up with issues or waste money on something that doesn’t work!

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It works, it can have issues though with the wrong driver combinations. Use the latest intel HD driver from the alienware website and do not let windows update overwrite it. Use it with the laptop screen disabled for the most fluid experience.

Widnows animations can stutter otherwise because of a windows bug.

gschneider and Vasudev like this.