*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was actually going to use the SF600 in my desktop build. I was using a Phanteks Evolv Shift case.

I have a 330watt I leave at home as I used to have two for my older Alienware 18.
    Audio I use a USB Audioquest Dragonfly Red with Jitterbug.
    Speakers are just a 2.0 Edifier Set up. I have some AKG 551 MK2's for headphones.
    Alienware Mouse and keyboard.
    Never thought of a USB ethernet adaptor But thats a good shout I will order one.
    I only really need 3 ports currently Mouse keyboard and sound.
    I do have an Anker usb 3.0 hub already lol.

Okay I have found the CXM with 550watts I have added it to my wish list as well.
    I will order a fan the same as yours for the AMP once I am done testing to see if I am keeping it. its in the wish list.

By the looks of things if this works out I won't actually need to build a desktop! I can keep my mobile laptop and have a desktop at home!

2. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I happily replaced my desktop (i7 4770k and dual GTX 980 Ti) and have not looked back. I do not play the newest games at 4k so always maxing out the 60 Hz of my monitors without issue. Make sure to get a molex to fan adapter as the Noctua didn't come with one. I had them lying around from past purchases - you may as well - most aftermarket fans come with them

On my to-do list is replay Crysis 3 with max settings and test it out - that should put a decent strain on the card. I also have the Gears of War remaster and Gears of War 4 and may give those a whirl. Think those are the newest games I have right now since I am not counting anything Blizzard makes as taxing for GPUs haha.

gschneider likes this.
  3. gschneider

Reputations:
    I do have some of those from some fans I have bought in the past. I have box of connectors and stuff.

I have to try all this in ultra wide lol:

Crysis 3
    Battlefield 1
    Wolfenstein 2 The new Colossus
    Dirt:Rally
    Doom
    Company of Heros 2

4. gschneider

Reputations:
    I have noticed that some people have fitted watercooled GPU's in there AMP's.

I was thinking obviously I could overclock it like a beast to get more FPS to overcome some of the loss. Although at 3440x1440 the loss will be a lot less due to the increased GPU load.

Most of the watercooled ones actually will fit and a quick youtube of how, shows it is pretty easy.

So is one with a higher clock speed and watercooling for overclocking better? Or is the extra £100-£200 over the one I have had turn up already (below) not worth it?

This one arrived today.
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evg...aphics-card-3584-core-1480mhz-gpu-1582mhz-boo

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    The watercooled ones just have a simple Asetek CLC system installed usually. You can buy a cpu cooler and the corsair bracket to get similar results yourself if interested. I know that for CPUs the cooling is about the same as a large tower cooler but with GPUs there is actually an appreciable improvement in surface area with radiator vs standard fins. The main variables will be a) cooling of other components and b) how good of a contact you can get between the cooling block and the GPU die. I WOULD expect the watercooled to be louder under most conditions (pump + fan through a rad)

gschneider likes this.
  6. gschneider

Reputations:
    That's true I had a CLC on my CPU in my old desktop with a 5820k OC to 4.5ghz on all cores.

Do you think with my intended Usage case the AMP with a 120hz 3440x1440p monitor. I should change for the liquid version? I'm wondering just how much more I can get that might help me hit acceptable FPS. I am a gamer that prefers eye candy to blazing FPS. If its not much more FPS though then the cost makes it not worth it. Especially the AMP won't be able to manage it!

So my Alienware Keyboard, monitor and AMP have now been delays to the 15th! Annoying as I already have my GPU.

I read about the new Ryzen Mobile laptops! They would be interesting with the AMP they have more cores and crucially more PCI-E lanes. The Asus one with a Ryzen 7 1700 has 16+4+4 Lanes. We only have 16. So Ryzen could have 8 to AGA and 8 to GPU and still have the 4+4 left!!!! Intel needs to respond and give us more lanes!

7. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    To get more PCIe to the Amp would take a redesign or the amp, cable, and connector. There are only enough wires in the cable for x4 right now so kind of capped there. Wish they had a full x8 actually, could have implemented a PCIe switch to take the x8 going to the 1070 and sent them all to the AGA - since you never use them at the same time anyways. Oh well.

I have always favored stability over performance, so I lean towards a stock clocked card which will never need exotic cooling.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The problem was always that there weren't/arent enough lanes available from the CPU and the lanes provided by the PCH add additional performance drops. But 4X is still sufficient with current cards. Benchmarks show that it is only a few frames drops on all major cards.

9. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    Ya, more lanes would mainly be for future proofing. What the next rev of the AGA needs to have is power delivery through the dock connector so you don't also need the power supply.. They do this with their WD15 and TB16 docks and it is AWESOME (I use one with my work Precision 5520). Also, if they can figure out a way to make it hot-pluggable and not require the reboot - that would be cool too.

10. ishtangli

ishtangli Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I ran DDU and installed the 388.13 on my AW15 R1. It installed correctly but the driver it installed wasn't the latest (check Geforce Exprecience for version).