*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Clevorr

Clevorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How exactly? It won't let me because the internal 1070 is stuck on the screen, tried disabling it and it goes mental. Only way I can get GPU in the aga to work is on external monitor..

Do you need special drivers or something??

2. spiralzz

spiralzz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah your right, you cant use the AGA to boost the internal screen IF its The G-Sync panel.

Mines the same the AGA only works to the external, something to do with the way the Gsync panel connects to the main board also disabling the Nvidia optimus option as well.

Using the AGA to boost the 1080 / 4k panels works fine AFAIK

3. Clevorr

Clevorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I thought so. That's a shame. I wonder what would happen if you take out the internal GPU (1070)? Laptop probably won't work then because the Intel integrated graphics won't work with the gsync panel.. That would be interesting. Lol

4. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm curious what would of happen if you put a now gsync panel in a gsync system is that possible?

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    What if you guys disable G-SYNC first in control panel. Then try connecting the amp after?

6. eugeneville

eugeneville Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I've ordered an AGA recently and will use it with a 2017 13" (7700hq, 1060).
    Can somebody please confirm if the evga sc2 1080ti hybrid would fit as its predecessor did with an ability to close down the lid?
    In your opinion would that be the best 1080ti to go for if the aim is to have a quiet experience and have the lid in a closed position?
    From the air cooled ones I've read that the msi gaming x is quiet but due to its thickness the lid would stay open, hence why I'm looking at the sc2 hybrid option.

My other question was about the power supply and the fan that alienware use. Could somebody please recommend a power supply that would fit and stay quiet most of the time, I've read that the Corsair semi-modular 650W is a good choice, is that the case?
    And lastly, what noctua fan do people normally get to change out the oem one?

Sorry for many questions but massive thanks in advance for your help!

7. NA087

NA087 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if it doesn't fit take the entire top off. its really easy, that is what i did for the EVGA 1080ti ftw3. (problem with height)

8. eugeneville

eugeneville Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, but that's not really what I was asking. I do know it's possible to only close it half way or take it off completely but I aim to have the lid closed.

9. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the bigger issue will be mounting the radiator, the way the screws are threaded they are screwed back to front not front to back. That was the first thing I noticed when I installed my temporary RX580 since I had intended on water-cooling at some point. That said you can mine using an AGA with minimal MH/s loss FYI.

hmscott likes this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    This card should fit with the lid closed, looking up at the dimensions:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6598-KR

I don't know how well the radiator will fit, from looking at my AMP, it SHOULD all fit.

I'll be testing VEGA 64 next week with the amp. ;)

hmscott likes this.