*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thought the AGS was only PCIe 3.0 x4?

QuillP likes this.
  2. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, my mistake... i delete a part of the post. Thks!!!

3. NA087

NA087 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

hope these videos helps you have a 7700hq so you are fine, but if i didn't need a portable workstation I would go create a PC with AMD risen 5/7... throw in a EVGA 1080ti kingpin or EVGA 1080ti ftw3 (but that is just me)

4. QuillP

Reputations:
    Why is the performance better with external display? If you use an external monitor does not matter if the AGA is Pcie 3.0 x4? What matters is the bandwidth of the hdmi port (hdmi 2.0 up to 18Gbps)?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  5. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And rysen looks awesome!
    Seems. Team. Blue might take a battering as I don't think anyone I know actually wants to be on intel.

I see vega got release today. I feel it was more of a let down though even the vega 64 liquid cooled with its price tag doesn't make much more sense over just getting a 1080ti

6. NA087

NA087 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ------------------------------------------------------------

vega is good, just not good enough that is why Nvidia is delaying next GPU.

As for 1080ti, just thanks the entire top of if you get a external GPU. And put in a proper 1080ti example evga kingpin/ evga 1080ti ftw3 or what was the other one >.<

Or a Asus one

7. QuillP

Reputations:
    with an external monitor connected to the Aga graphics card by hdmi I get 100% bandwidth? But in the internal display will be limited to the bandwidth of the pcie 3.0 x4? I understood correctly?

why both GPUs (1070 iGpu and 1080ti eGpu) say the same 8.0 GT/s of PCIe Link Speed with HwInfo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  8. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I got quoted, so I should probably clarify.
    Yes, the bandwidth is the same PCI 3.0x4 going to the internal screen or external screen. That's the most of what is allowed from the AGA (the AGA cable and ports only have 4 lanes). Both are "100%".

However, using the internal screen is like doing double duty, or more work compared to not using it and connecting a Display Port, HDMI, DVI, or VGA cable to the graphics card. Data is being sent back and forth, and the end result is worse performance. So if you want to most performance, use an external screen.

As for why both GPUs are showing the same bandwidth, it is entirely possible that the AGA port uses 4 of the lanes dedicated to the discrete GPU. A max of 8 lanes are wired for the internal discrete GPU, so if the theory holds, when using the AGA, that drops to 4. I'm not certain about this because the new line of laptops might be different from the Echo line (2015 laptops) when it comes to lane allocations, and there could be an entirely different reason.

That said, since both GPUs are showing up, I assume you have a G-Sync panel on your laptop?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    QuillP likes this.
  9. Clevorr

Clevorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Does anyone know if I can use the AW Graphics amplifier with the AW 17 R4 using the laptop screen or can only use on an external monitor??

Its 7820HK, GTX 1070 with 1440p 120hz gsync monitor..

Thanks in advance!!

10. Klk450

Klk450 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can use the laptops screen with the AGA as well. You just won't get the max performance you would with an external monitor.