*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good, look at my signature, there are results to compare. You can also use Superposition benchmark, is a nice benchmark tool... Good luck!

2. NA087

NA087 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was wondering if Cooler Master V550 would fit a Alienware Graphics Amplifier...

I am trying to find something modular that would fit.... or does none exist?

3. QuillP

Reputations:
    I replace with Corsair CX650M ... with this psu you do not need to make any modifications. Fit perfectly

[​IMG]

4. NA087

Reputations:
    I am trying to find something fully modular if not would probably just go for the next cheapest thing on the market. They DO need to upgrade the dymention of he external GPU thou.

5. QuillP

Reputations:
    cx650m is semi modular, there is no difference with full modular. Only 1 non-modular cable... I could not find another psu that has the power plug in this place. With all the other psu I had to modify AGA...
    [​IMG]

6. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have litterally read about a thousand reviews on the AGA now. I am looking for someone to tell me what the direct difference in performance is like with my system a 7700hq with something like a 1080ti? I have the option to build a desktop or get an Aurora R5 and a G-sync monitor probably the ASUS Swift IPS version, I can't do TN as the monitor will do more than just games. Obviously with 165hz to play with my laptop 1070 can't compete at 2560x1440p I was thinking that I could save some money with the AGA as opposed to a regular desktop. I do prefer to have a laptop over a tablet or a desktop and having both a laptop and a desktop seems less fundimental to me now.

So what do you guys think? Spending money to lose performance in my eyes seems counter productive. If I am losing to many frames I might as well just build a desktop. If its a viable option though the AGA seems more cost effective to me.

7. NA087

Reputations:

1) don't buy a Aurora R5, Dell uses crappy parts and charges you a arm and a leg for it. If you just got the new Alienware you would know that the ram isn't good, and the PCIe NVMe is priced in comparison to a Samsung 960 pro but it's not a 960 pro.

2) with the NEW AMD Rysen chips the difference in value between laptop and desktop have increased like a ton. (Depends on your budget) you can get a decent amd rysen 5 build under $1000 (excluding GPU) and it will rip the Alienware to shreads.

Guessing your investment is excluding the GPU. Also it would depend on your work. Do you use your Alienware as a portable desktop if so yes the external GPU makes sense if not make a pc.

8. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's a fair point I swapped my PCI-E Toshiba drive for decent Samsung 960 evo's. I have currently got ram on order from Kingston.

When it comes to budget I don't really have one. My real concern is something that matches a decent performance to value ratio.

I already have my Alienware laptop so adding the graphics amplifier seemed like a cheaper option than adding a whole desktop. One device is also far easier to have round. My issue is that if getting the Amplifier means I will lose a large chunk of frame rate I would rather build a desktop.

I use my laptop as my gaming desktop and also as my go to device for everything. It does everything from my music player, film player, general laptop, tablet (not keen on tablets) , games console. Majority of the time though it never leaves the house. I just love Alienwares industrial design currently. Though I also like the Corsair one pro. I prefer smaller form factor designs. I also really don't have the urge to build systems anymore. I like ones that are built and I can just upgrade bits in the future.

I should confirm I have owned a lot of Alienwares stuff, AW18, AW14, AW15r2, Area 51, now AW 15r3. I do Agree three Aurora uses poor base parts but I would replace the ram, and nvme drive of my own. I would not buy them from Alienware.

My Plan was to use the laptop as my go to device then when I want some serious gaming I would use my predator monitor and also the AGA. I replace my laptops every 2 years anyway. Howver if I lose to much performance using an AGA I would rather build or buy a desktop

9. NA087

Reputations:
    Think the performance drop is only like 3-10% (10% at the worst case scenario) I would modify it a little aka just take the entire top off and put in a evga 1080ti ftw3 (but that's just me)

10. QuillP

Reputations:
    In fact, you gain performance on the Laptop + AGA, it works cooler because it does not have to share the heatsink with the iGPU, it is only used for the CPU. Anyway, 3% performance loss is not perceptible.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017