*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Zerpy

Zerpy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I noticed someone said they fit their 2.5 slot card into the Amplifier but I read elsewhere 2.5 would not work. I just got a 1080ti Zotac Amp Extreme Core Edition and I haven't opened it yet... Does anyone know if it will fit? I'm not terribly concerned with the amplifier closing I just want to make sure I can actually use it.

Thanks!

Would be great if anyone can confirm it works, otherwise I will bring it back for a lesser card

EDIT: What about a FTW3? It definitely looks too tall but is the AGA modable to fit it? At least the FTW3 I don't have to worry about width and seems I can for sure run it with the case open.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you say it...

3. QuillP

Reputations:
    This is 2.5 slot card, It works perfect, but you can not close the top cover, it stays like this ..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Zerpy

Reputations:
    Awe man, I just returned it for a EVGA SC (original). I saw someone confirmed it fit 100% so I went for it even though I know I'm probably losing a lot of overclocking headroom. Sigh.

Stupid impatience :p

5. QuillP

Reputations:
    It is a mistake to say that it does not fit. Many people say "it does not fit" because you can not close the top cover.

Evga sc 1080? Or 1080ti?

6. Zerpy

Reputations:
    1080ti. By original I mean not an SC2 (out of stock sadly and again, impatience)

Edit: I technically haven't opened the 1080ti SC yet either but I don't want to be "that guy" and keep making them do exchanges... I think I'm going to settle... I... think... :p

7. QuillP

Reputations:
    I am impatient too many times. I do not think you notice much difference in the performance, do not worry. But anyway, use the top cover open, the fans are very close to the lid even with that graphics card. Understand what I say? It is better to use the top cover open because the air flow is better...

Run a 3dmark benchmark (firestrike, firestrike ultra or time spy) to compare performance

8. Zerpy

Reputations:
    So... There was no real point in getting the smaller card? :| lol Do most people use non-blower cards open even if they fit?!

QuillP likes this.
  9. QuillP

Reputations:
    I do not know what the rest does, I tell you what works for me

Run a 3dmark benchmark (firestrike, firestrike ultra or time spy) to compare performance... Try with the cover open and cover closed and compare the result.

10. Zerpy

Reputations:
    When my AGA arrives I will do exactly that and post the results here w/ temps! At most I'm going to lose 3% performance over the bigger cards so I'll cut my losses here and experiment for science!