*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its good to know that I don't have to wait for a power outage to find out what happens :D thanks for the info.

I did recently install the AGA driver, kinda wondered what it was for since it was working without it anyways. The more you know.

2. shadowyani

Reputations:
    Lol. Vrel is widespread misunderstood and no wonder why.

From GPU-Z website: "It's so simple to use, you don't need documentation.
    Just download and run the binary, without installation."

BAH don't need documentation my arse. If you need a better idiot before you write documentation I'll be your better idiot.

Vrel from what I've garnered through observation and anecdotes on the web is simply informational. It means no further boost can be achieved without becoming unreliable.

Anyhow you should pay more attention to GPU usage and the clock speed if you want to identify the bottleneck. Make sure your GPU is in prefer maximum performance mode in order to minimize clock speed fluctuations so when you take GPU usage measurements you're spot on. You may very well simply be CPU limited.

Shaden likes this.
  3. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply, I had been looking at the other measures, and it seems the GPU is running at near 100% load, and the boost on the super clock is working. Core clocks go up to 1961 Mhz, the Vrel thing was just really throwing me for a loop.

The only other odd thing I see is that it says, when running BF1, that its using 3.8GB or mem, but the graph indicates that is almost all the Vram, when this thing has 11 GB ... anyway I will play around some more with it, thanks for relieving me about the Vrel thing.

Still wonder if anyone gets a weird buzzing from their AGA when they put some load on it ? Even if it doesn't impact performance, its annoying.

4. shadowyani

Reputations:
    Max load and max clocks sounds like the poor thing is giving you all its got! Personally I use HWInfo64's graphing functions they're larger, customizable, and easier to see trends with because of this. Maybe your memory isn't full but the graph is so small you can't really tell?

I get buzzing under load but it was my GTX 1080; the buzzing was there under load when the thing was in my old desktop and persists over in the AGA. It bothered me greatly and as a result now I have the skill and patience of a fighting monk.

5. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL.

Hrm, I was just running Hwinfo, but only looked at the CPU stuff. Highest CPU load was 87% ... not sure if it would start to bottle neck down at that point. I am going to give her some more testing tomorrow, it just FEELS like something is wrong. Should be a bigger difference from the gtx 970m to this thing.

Thanks agian for the response, will update tomorrow :)

6. John Rosenthal

John Rosenthal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    View attachment 146005
    Do you use the both 12V power cords from AGA's PSU, I mean black-yellow and black-brown wires?
    my stock PSU made buzzing noise if i plug black-brown wire.
    black-brown wire inside in PSU containe some ferrite filter on this wire.
    In a hi-loaded applications he make some noise.
    I think if you just remove this filter you can forget about buzzing noise.
    this filter actualy not a nessesery

Add:
    if you use black-brown wires, in this case guilty ferrite ring (see on picture)
    buzzing not exactly ferrite ring, Ring helps to do it, the noise made the wires under high AMPs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Shaden likes this.
  7. shadowyani

Reputations:
    Of course you feel like something is wrong. My AW13 felt wrong before it left the cardboard it came in long before I actually found something actually wrong with it. The powerful want only one thing; more power.

TBH this place is like a support group for people who feel like everything is wrong but I am preaching to the choir you seem to have been here around as long as I have. We can't be satiated until Alienware changes their slogan to "Go ahead, stress test it, we dare you." but their technicians are trained to be p!@#sies and will only stress test the CPU or the GPU, but not BOTH at the same time despite using shared heat-pipe designs.

Some of these guys here have an insane sense of humor to go around spilling liquid metal over their $2000 !@Q#$% and defending re-paste as the norm. But eh, May your temperatures be low and your framerate high! I understand where they're coming from.

On the flip-side if nobody feels like anything is wrong crap-tastic design decisions continue to be made. I use the monk analogy in jest, but there's a little wisdom in the attitudes they have. They treat life like its one big joke but they can rip you a new !@#%#@ if you tell them not to laugh.

Anyways don't test in a vacuum. I don't have BF1 or the 1080 Ti so I cannot give you comparable results unfortunately but it would be best if someone could compare results.

Anyways test onwards. The results will prove your sanity lol.

Shaden likes this.
  8. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you might wanna go on youtube, search for @OWNORDISOWN , he recently posted videos on AGA with 1080ti. He too faced problems with AGA paired with 1080ti and he managed to resolve the problem by DDU if im not mistaken. Just take a look at his video, hope it resolves your low FPS issue.

Shaden likes this.
  9. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just a heads up .... my fps weren't anywhere as bad as ownordisown's ... but using the software to completely clear my old drivers and install the new ones fresh increased my performance nicely. Still think I am capped somewhere but saw a nice improvement in benches and a solid 10-15 fps gain in BF1. Now running fully maxed 200% sample full post and getting 50 - 60 fps. Drops to high 40s occassionally.

Wondering if you or Ram or even my cheap 5400 rpm hard drive are hurting me

10. shadowyani

Reputations:
    Well if you're running at over 80% CPU usage, average, is it average?? Because if you're up that high on average you'll even notice the effects of a handful of background tasks on the game performance. But you say that your GPU is Max clock and Max load so that's an indicator your CPU is keeping the GPU very well fed and it to me does not indicate a CPU bottleneck. It sounds like you need a GTX 1180 Ti Championship New Challengers Edition.

Shaden likes this.