*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My AGA with regular 1080 FE came out to 226W just so you have another reference point. So yeah the AGA is definitely sufficient for a 1080 Ti but you are right about efficiency. A higher rated PSU (I don't know about 80 Plus certs anymore people have been calling that into question) could give you the wattage you need with less wasted in conversion from the wall, however your AGA is still more than sufficient.

I've installed the older version APS Backup 550 for some customers that has the same VA rating, it will give a maximum of 350watts to basic office equipment. It isn't your power supply that was overloaded your UPS was overloaded. That thing was designed for office gear so definitely do not run your AGA off of it. Generally for the AGA, if you were to run off a UPS, which is a good idea to protect your investment, should have a VA raiting of 1000 or greater to give you enough time to shutdown a computer that loses power with a 1080 Ti at full loads.

For reference my 1350VA UPS gives me 20 minutes to power down my AGA with 1080 which is a nice and comfortable place to be. I'd imagine that the 1080 Ti would be around 10-15 minutes. You also want your UPS to exceed your PSU by a large margin to account for power spikes that occur when powering your equipment on initially.

That being said probably any reputable brand has a higher quality PSU than what comes with the AGA. If I were you I'd get a better UPS first, if you intend to run off a UPS that is; your 650 watt aspirations will do the exact same brutalization to your current UPS.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. LiquidGamer007

LiquidGamer007 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yea the.lights are on the gpu and the connectors are good. Do you think maybe its because i didnt uninstall my old gtx 980 driver before installing the 1080 driver that there bumping heads or something?

3. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That can't be the reason as your table shows that the difference in efficiency is generally only like 3-4% between 50% and 100% load which is pretty insignificant.

The overclocked 1080Ti card needs up to 300W, so a 400W PSU from a good brand would have been more than enough for the amp IMHO.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea exactly the stock PSU in the AGA has plenty of headroom. It could accommodate some of the Radeons at the time which if I recall correctly used even more power than the 1080 Ti despite being a lower performer.

5. John Rosenthal

John Rosenthal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I use the stock 460W PSU in the AGA with NVidia Titan X (Pascal)
    it's enough for this Video Card. Because 450W goes directly in Card, no more else.
    I ran heavy graphics tests and games and PSU did well, without temperature and another issues

6. jace888au

jace888au Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The topic of UPS has left me wondering... what happens if the power to the AGA is disconnected whilst it's running? I assume it would cause a BSOD on the laptop itself?

7. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    In my experience, the laptop just shuts down. Nothing fancy. I never checked the BSOD logs afterwards, but that's all I witnessed.

8. John Rosenthal

John Rosenthal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you installed the AGA driver, then nothing happens.
    This driver blocks any situation with sporadic power failure
    and disconnection of the data cable from the AGA

9. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ummm Hey folks, long time no see.

Forgive me if I don't search too far through this thread, but it actually seems a bit on topic right now. I just picked up an EVGA 1080ti SC2, got it loaded up, driver installed all that jazz (running an m15x R2 6700hq, 16 GB ram, crappy hard drive - anyway. Playing BF1, and my frames aren't that great. Just about solid 60 fps on 1080 with 100% sample, at ultra settings, but I was pretty close to that on my gtx 970m. If I crank settings to 200% sample, which looks gorgeous, I am only getting 38 - 45 frames.

Check GPUz and it says Vrel ... I am getting performance capped due to voltage reliability !??!?!

10. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also, does anyone else's power supply make a buzzing noise as soon as you put any load through the Amp !?