*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    All 1080 ti have good performance. I do not care if I do not close the cover. In fact, I always leave it open, even when I could close it. Those of 2 bays are very close to the wall of the cover, that I do not like because it does not cool properly.

2. jmike00

jmike00 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately for me closing the cover is important since my cat would love to investigate the insides if left open. I'm actually thinking about going with the Hybrid now that I've seen you can make it fit though swapping from desktop to AGA might be too much of a hassle.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. QuillP

Reputations:
    Jajajja I have dogs.

Up on a shelf.
    [​IMG]

4. SniperTNT

SniperTNT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm considering upgrading from a ZOTAC AMP! GTX 1060 6GB to a Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X card ($419 brand new). I'm still using the standard graphics amplifier power supply (460W).

I was going to upgrade to a Gigabyte G1 1070 8GB GDDR5 for $362 after a $30 rebate, but for the price, I think the 1080 is more worth the price for performance; for $56 more.

The recommended PSU from ZOTAC for the GTX 1060 is 400W, while the recommended from GIGABYTE for their G1 1080 is 500W.

The G1 1080 card under the heaviest of load is somewhere around 300W; at least that I've seen.

I do NOT plan on overclocking it.

So is it necessary to upgrade the power supply in the graphics amplifier for the 1080 and if so, which one is the best upgrade?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  5. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have that same card and love it. You shouldn't have to upgrade the PSU, I had a 980ti in there and it was more power hungry than the 1080 but I ended up switching the PSU so I could get less fan noise. Also with that card being blower style, it performs really well in the Amp as its blowing out the hot air instead of recirculating it through the tiny case. For the money, you can't get a better GPU.

6. SniperTNT

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'm just about ready to hit the confirm order button!

What drivers are you using with it?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  7. QuillP

Reputations:
    I had gtx 1080 g1 (very noisy). Now I have a gtx 1080 Aorus X, much better in every way. I'm still using the orignal graphics amplifier power supply. Gigabyte recommends PSU 600w. Which power supply are compatible with this AGA? (In size and position of power connectors)

8. SniperTNT

Reputations:
    Firstly, does it fit in the amplifier without modification?

If so, is the performance difference compared to the GTX 1080 G1 significant?

Simply put, is it worth the extra $100 from the G1?

9. QuillP

Reputations:
    Fits, but does not close amp cover. (Not a problem for me. In fact, I enjoy the rgb colors that the card gives.)

Yes, performance is far superior. 30% more. And does not make any noise...

Yes.

[​IMG]

10. LiquidGamer007

LiquidGamer007 Newbie

Reputations:
    Im currently trying to upgrade my gpu in my amplifier from a PNY Geforce Gtx 980 to Evga Geforce Gtx 1080 Ftw but running into problems.
    1st: The power supply is not the reccommended size
    2nd: The 1080 gpu is 1/4inch higher than the 980
    3rd: My laptop is not recognizing the 1080 card

#1 I swapped out the power supply with a 650 watt supply but the 375 watt in the amplifier originally must be custom.
    #2 The lid will not close completely due to the connectors plugging in on top of the 1080 gpu.
    #3 Im still working on getting my laptop to recognize the new card. Im thinking the old driver is clashing with the new.

Anyone else have these problems?