*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for that information guys! I think I can safely say I'll be okay without a full desktop for some time. I'll be keeping my 1080 from the desktop and parting out the rest.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Runnings such a setup for almost a year now and i cannot go back. Its way to convenient

3. shadowyani

Reputations:
    Yeah sounds like I'll be fine until there's a true breakthrough in CPU technology. Lol at Intel's i9s. They named every damn thing under the sun i7 and i7 Extremes can't get extreme enough they have nowhere for the brand to go. i9 it is! I love marketing.

I hope the AGA is enough to satiate my appetite for upgrades for at least, oh, an hour or so.

:D

JTOverath likes this.
  4. shadowyani

Reputations:
    I just got my AGA and put my "old" gtx 1080 in it. It works great but the Alienhead is supposed to light up isn't it? I've configured it in Alienfx but its not lit.

Oh well its a minor thing the performance with Gtx 1080 + 7700HQ isn't too far from when it was in my old desktop on a 4790k.

StanJarensky likes this.
  5. jace888au

jace888au Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's awesome. I'm still debating pulling the trigger on a 1080Ti/AGA combo to run a 4K screen!

Bahn Yuki likes this.
  6. StanJarensky

StanJarensky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's exactly what I'm coming from (as far as a 4790k is concerned) and yes, it's not too different for gaming. If I was doing video editing and stuff I'm sure I'd notice a difference.

You should do it as long as you have an i7 quad-core processor.

7. shadowyani

Reputations:
    I have to say that while I'm pleased with the performance the experience is far from seamless. It often takes a reboot or two before the GPU switch properly takes. I do make sure to fully power off as per the instructions.

Also switching between graphics settings for the 2 different GPUs is a bit of a chore. If GeForce Experience has a usable profile for your game this is somewhat alleviated but sometimes its settings are just plain inexplicable and you're often better served doing it manually.

The tech works but buyer beware.

8. jmike00

jmike00 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question for you about the card being too large. What dimension is preventing closure? I know the AORUS is one of the beefier Ti cards and wonder if one of the EVGA non FE cards would fit.

9. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is the thickness. Needs 3 bays and the GA only have 2.5

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. jmike00

jmike00 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If that's the case then I'm betting an EVGA SSC or FTW would fit since they are a 2 slot config. I was planning on ordering a 1080ti this weekend to pull double duty in my desktop and then swap in the GA when I travel for extended periods.