*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    As it currently stands, the Graphics Amplifier doesn't work well with the G-Sync panels on the laptops as it cannot disable the GPU that turns on the laptop display. I don't when Alienware is going to fix it as it's a known problem.
    So in those cases, it's normal to see the laptop discrete GPU enabled, but you're forced to use an external monitor to use the GPU in the amp. So for the time being, disconnect the Amp, uninstall your Nvidia driver with DDU and install the latest mobile graphics driver. See if that helps. Let's at least get the boot problem fixed first.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh I didn't know that's! Thanks for the info .. now I'm stuck with a black screen do I just beef to restore again ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. StanJarensky

StanJarensky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For what it's worth, I use my AGA as it's "designed." I have a 15 R3 with a 7700HQ, GTX 1060, and G-SYNC which I use on the go. I have my AGA set up on my desk and it's connected to two external monitors and my TV. While connected to the AGA, my 15 R3 sits on my desk, lid down. When I received my AGA, I did a complete reinstall of Windows 10 Pro, connected the AGA before installing ANY drivers and installed GeForce Experience. GeForce Experience installed perfectly and inside of it, I can see that it detects BOTH my GTX 1060 and the 1070 I'm using in the AGA while I wait for my 1080 Ti to arrive. Under device manager, I can also see both GPU's. Of course, when the laptop is disconnected, the GTX 1070 disappears from both.

I don't know if it's just because I don't use the laptop's display when I have it connected to the AGA but I have no problems with my setup. When my laptop's lid is closed while connected to the AGA, the display disappears completely from both the Windows display settings as well as the nVidia control panel. Everything works perfectly from what I can tell and unless I'm playing a very CPU intensive game, my GTX 1070 is performing within ~2-3% of my previous i7-4790k/1070 setup I was using before I got my AGA.

Just sharing my experience so far. I struggled with the decision of replacing my desktop with an eGPU setup but since I'm currently typing this on my 15 R3 downstairs in my kitchen while the AGA is upstairs, I'm certainly thinking it's worth it.

EDIT: Only downside, G-SYNC, actually. I bought mine from MicroCenter when they had a sale (ended up getting my 15 R3 for like $1250) but they didn't have any non-G-SYNC models. I love the idea of G-SYNC but since the laptop can't switch between the Intel and nVidia GPU, it crushes whatever battery life the laptop is capable of. I average around 3 hours of "normal" use. :(

4. Cerreta28

Reputations:
    Have you ever be able to use the laptop display with that egpu?

5. StanJarensky

Reputations:
    What do you mean? When connected to the AGA, I have external monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc. so I don't touch the laptop at all.

6. Cerreta28

Reputations:
    Right .. is it posable to use the laptop monitor

7. Cerreta28

Reputations:
    So are you using you laptop display

8. StanJarensky

Reputations:
    No, I do not. There's a much higher performance loss when using the laptop's display with the AGA. Up to like ~30%.

9. Cerreta28

Reputations:
    Yeah .. shoot I was really hoping I could use my laptop screen .. there has to be a away to get it to work

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There are no mobile drivers anymore since they support hot plugging.