*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. jevel

jevel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So. Replaced the Strix with a MSI FE, and this works just fine. Temps are ok and the noise is quite ok from the cooling. The loudest noise in games now is the coil whine from the graphics card which was bad on the Strix and just as bad on the FE.

Why does this happen? Is this common in desktop computers as well, or is there something with the way the amplifier is designed that amplifies the whine? (Pun intended.)

-KJ

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Coil whine is quite common nowadays. There is always coil whine. But it depends the frequency if it is audible or not.

3. StanJarensky

StanJarensky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I got my AGA today and I'm currently using it with my old GTX 1070 while I'm waiting for my 1080 Ti to come in. The AGA was and is working flawlessly (I think), I just have a few questions.

I know that there obviously a reduction in performance if using the laptop's built in display with the AGA. Luckily, the AGA will only be used at my desk with monitors installed so that performance hit should be the minimum. I have the laptop's display disabled through the Windows display settings--is there anything else to do in terms of disabling the laptop's display to minimize that performance hit or is just doing it through the display settings enough?

Are both 6+2 pin connectors on the AGA's PSU for GPU's? I assume they are but I only ask because they're different colored wires. Is anyone currently using MSI Afterburner or a similar program with their AW laptops and AGA?

If I set Afterburner for settings with my GTX 1070 in the AGA, is that going to affect/mess up my laptop's built in 1060 while the AGA is disconnected?

4. StanJarensky

StanJarensky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Never mind about this; I didn't see that the laptop's display completely disappears from the Windows display settings when closed...that's actually really cool. My other two questions stand, though.

Also, has anyone found any way to easily wake your laptops from sleep without lifting the screen. I have my 15 R3 sitting on a shelf underneath my monitor and having to move the laptop to lift the screen to hit the power button is kinda a pain.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You dont need to disable the screen in the control panel or anything. Just press windows button+P and select the second screen only (external screen) and then you are good to go.

Bit connectors are for the GPU.

6. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey every one I got my amp and gtx 1080ti today and having an issue .. I installed the desktop drivers and even the newest notebook ones .. when I get the computer to reboot all the gpu show up in device manager .. not sure how to get it to run off the ti .. and now I'm having an issue at book where the screen stays black and the little dots spin around and even the mouse shows but nothing else .. I had to restore to get to boot again and I tried again and it stuck again .. any one have any idea how to fix this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You only need to isntall the desktop driver, remove everything and start again.

8. Cerreta28

Reputations:
    I did it that was as well

9. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    If I may ask, does your laptop have a G-Sync panel/screen?

10. Cerreta28

Reputations:
    Yes it does