*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Gforc3

Gforc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sounds electrical I'm not sure what coil noise sounds like. It's loud enough to hear over the fans

2. StanJarensky

StanJarensky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now that more of you are starting to get your hands on 1080 Ti's I was hoping to get some feedback on a question.

I currently have a AW 15 R3 with a GTX 1060 and a desktop with a 4790k and a GTX 1070. I am currently using a 144Hz 1080p monitor on my desktop. I'm thinking about upgrading my monitor to a 144Hz 2560x1080 monitor and upgrading to a GTX 1080 Ti. I know that a normal GTX 1080 would be able to drive that resolution but I want to be able to get 100+ FPS on most titles. Ideally, I'm looking to purchase an AGA and part out my desktop and go to my 15 R3 + AGA for a single computer.

For those of you with the AGA and 1080 Ti's, do you find that the 6700HQ or 7700HQ bottleneck the 1080 Ti at all and/or do you find that the 4-lane bandwidth limit bottlenecks the 1080 Ti at all? I just don't want to purchase a $700 GPU and find that I'm stuck with a permanent 25% decrease in performance. I know CPU intensive games like GTA V will suffer because of the HQ CPU but I'm more looking at games like Overwatch, For Honor, etc. I find that the GTX 1060 in my 15 R3 does perfectly for 1080p games so I would only be using the AGA with an external monitor. But I was using a i5-4570 before upgrading to my i7-4790k and I noticed a HUGE bump in performance at 144Hz. In games I was struggling to keep over 70-80FPS, I suddenly averaged 100FPS (for example, ME: Andromeda--70FPS average on max at 1080p with the 4570, I now average 90-100FPS with the 4790k). So now that I'm hooked on the great 144Hz, I'm worried that the 7700HQ in my 15 R3 won't be able to sustain over 100FPS even with a 1080 Ti.

Am I just worrying for nothing? Or am I better off keeping two machines? I'm getting sick and tired of having to worry about what files I have on what computer and offline saves for games. I'm pretty sure my computer life in general would benefit greatly from being able to go down to one machine but I just don't want to sacrifice the ability for 144Hz gaming to do that....

jace888au likes this.
  3. jace888au

jace888au Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Also very interested in this too as I have the exact same laptop (AW15 R3, 7700HQ, GTX1060) and wondering if the 1080Ti will do the trick to push it to the next level.

4. Ansem

Ansem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. StanJarensky

Reputations:
  6. Klk450

Klk450 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone else experiencing bsod issues? I go to turn on my laptop connected to the amplifer and for the first time ever I'm having issues with it. It was working fine yesterday and now it's not. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Attached Files:

7. StanJarensky

Reputations:
    The USB ports in the back of the AGA, they have independent lanes in the cable correct? Having devices plugged in isn't going to hinder performance with the GPU like the Razer Core's USB ports do, right?

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thats correct. The USB hub is a separate entitity in the AGA, I Have harddisks etc connected and never saw a drop in performance.

9. StanJarensky

Reputations:
    Are there any guides on getting the AGA set up? I just ordered one off of Amazon ($170 which is a steal) and it should be getting here Friday. I've heard that some people have problems with the GPU drivers so I'm considering just starting with a completely clean Windows 10 installation and starting with the GPU drivers for the AGA off the bat. Are there specific drivers for the AGA or am I just going to nVidia's website?

10. jevel

jevel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just tried the Strix 1080 TI in the GA, and it will not fit. It is too wide and also the side of the amplifier will block airflow from the fans. I seem to remember seeing someone modifying a GA to accomodate a Strix 1080, but I cannot find any pictures when I try googling.

So back to the ASUS FE for me.

-KJ