*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've never experienced that issue ... disappearing power profiles I mean ... in fact, I've had nothing but an all around positive experience with AWCC and use it daily; I find it very useful.

One caveat, however is that I've never updated it past the first update when I first got my machine a bit back. I had read so much about others having issues with AWCC and realizing that the initially installed version was working perfectly, I decided to pointedly avoid any updates so as not to break something that was already working perfectly. Every time I start it, I get a message saying OC Controls need to be updated or some such but I always cancel out and never update anything.

This is the same approach I've taken with BIOS updates. I'm still on a *very* early BIOS and have never updated it as it's working perfectly.

Hope you get it sorted, mate ...

~s1rrah

DreDre and Asdesas like this.
  2. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The problem is with AWCC. You need to reinstall. Some of the files were still on your computer after uninstall. Could be on the regestry or on the computer.
    I suggest you use: RevoUnistaller to unistall 3 softwares: AWCC, OCcontrol and realtek audio driver.
    After you should still verify your regestry to make certain revouninstaller deleted all the remaining files of the preivous installations.
    You should then do the @Spartan@HIDevolution guide on how to install AWCC:http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-command-center-clean-install-guide.834263/ just to double/triple check nothing is left on tha laptop.
    And if it was me i would delete all windows power plan i created before doing all of this. Just in case.

I also recomment you use ThrottleStop latest version that includes windows power plan. This software is great and guarantee you are on the correct power plan without the need to use ****ty AWCC. When i am on ACpower i set my power plan to performance but when i am on Battery power i set my windows powerplan to Powersaver. This is done automatically in windows/AWCC thanks to throttlestop.
    Whenever you have an issue with AWCC, look no further then reinstalling the buggiest, ****tiest software ever created by human.

Papusan likes this.
  3. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    for me this is not a problem since my performance and my temperature have not changed, I am waiting for the next version! what he can do if he absolutely wants the optimal performance option, downgrade awcc and occ and the option will reappear!

4. Normimb

Reputations:
    He doesn't need to dowgrade. I am on AWCC latest version: 5.4.7.0 and everything is there. Windows power plan etc....He needs to reinstall, latest version as i describe just before.

Anyone who owns an Alienware product should understand that he will need to regulary reinstall AWCC to fix bugs created with the updates (usually every 3 months). This frustrating process is necessary since incompetent software ingeneer at Alienware can't fix the problem for the past 6 years (at least).

Area 51Mr2 is a great laptop when it's performance is not destroy by AWCC or futur bios updates. Mine runs cool too but the usual user will face issues after updates for sure.

DreDre likes this.
  5. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

happy for you that you did not encounter any bugs with the new update!

Normimb likes this.
  6. Medoyute

Medoyute Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you all for the advice. @Normimb just to clarify, I have @Spartan@HIDevolution uninstall/reinstall video bookmarked and use it as my "bible" for AWCC. Will try it again and see what's up. If it's not one thing it's another: reinstall and Steam games don't show up, or the lighting profiles dont respond, and now the power profiles. they really need to refine AWCC from the ground up(won't ever happen).
    I don't particularly overclock so havent felt the need to install Throttlestop. Would it be a good thing to have it installed even though I dont do OCing?

Normimb likes this.
  7. Normimb

Reputations:
    Lignting profile not responding is a classic AWCC bug. This is a proof of corrupt installation (not cause by the user but by the incompetent people at DellAlienware).
    For some it's necessary to reinstall windows to correct this issue. Hope it's not your case.
    Another thing you should do is restaure bios to default. When the laptop reboot hit: F2 will bring you in the bios. Then F9 to reset bios. Then remove all automatic updates in the bios in the Advance menu (not necessary but recommended if you don't wan't dell to force a bios update by windows) F10 save and exit. AWCC works with bios and sometimes a bios reset may help when facing issue with AWCC.

I don't use AWCC to launch games, like you seems to want to do, but i tested it for you and Red dead redemption (steam) did launch from AWCC. AWCC only feature not working is FAN PROFILES. It has never worked and never will. It's just there for SHOW.

It's not necessary to use ThrottleStop to «undervolt» but anybody would benefit from it. Once set correctly, it reduces CPU temps (GPU also benefits from a lower temps on Laptop shared heatsink) It improves performance (all cores can now run a constant desire clock) and it can improve battery life if you desire it to do so. The bad: User errors (making a too big undervolt) will bring instability to the system a laptop can go into BSOD. One of the easy guide to help you start with it is @Biker Gremling guide. It was done for the R1 but still accurate for the R2. Just ignore creating a profile at 78C cause it's for the R1 only.:http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-area-51m-undervolt-and-overclock-guide.830857/

EDIT: Make sure you delete everything left on windows that has FX on it(should be related to your lightning issues) AWCC. In the picture i show you some of the many places where AWCC install on the regestry. You could also look for the «current user» «software» tab and search for any remaining AWCC files and FX files and OCcontrol files. Delete everything you see with this name before reinstalling. Good luck.

AWCC regestry delete.PNG
    awcc regestry delete 2.PNG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  8. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only gaming that really wants that 5ghz is high (200+ fps) for stuff like csgo and other esports titles. As you noted for almost everything else you can drop it down a lot with little or no effect on the fps.

9. RoDexter81

RoDexter81 Newbie

Reputations:
    c0ach likes this.
  10. RoDexter81

RoDexter81 Newbie

Reputations:
    Please delete duplicate post!