*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've had support assist cause the same before it runs random scans and seems to get stuck sometimes resulting in the behaviour you noticed. It also seems to eat about 15GB of ram whilst doing so.

etern4l likes this.
  2. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok can someone please explain this to me? My laptop was sleeping, i woke it up and just like before it had low fps like it wasnt plugged in. i looked at the resource manager and the gpu was 100 percent on phasmophobia (not normal) normally what fixes this is if i unplug and plug my power in the back however i tried just restarting the laptop to see what happens and it fixed it. What setting or what the hell is causing my laptop to do this? screenshots of resources below.

Attached Files:

3. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. Will give a try.

Asdesas likes this.
  4. Enkidu78

Enkidu78 Newbie

Reputations:
  5. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I advise you to return this ram, the crucial ballistix rams have never been 100% compatible, I think it is at the operating voltage of this ram! I recommend the hyper x ram which works at 1.20v is better and compatible

6. Enkidu78

Enkidu78 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, returning.

7. melwilya

melwilya Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

My SSD is crashed. Does any of you have the Original, Factory Image of The 51m R2?

I do not intend to use a clean W10.

Thank you in advance.

8. Medoyute

Medoyute Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just as an update to this, I did the whole shebang to uninstall and reinstall AWCC and it so far hasn't had the issue. What I have noticed however is that the power management section only had the Balanced profile. Since this takes its cues from the windows Power Options section, I had to create a new profile based on the High Performance template(which itself does not seem to show up, only the balanced profile). It iddnt help that there was also a recent windows update(November 9, 2021—KB5007186) which i installed before doing all this. Anyone experiencing changed or removed power profiles in AWCC?

Asdesas likes this.
  9. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lately I've been using Throttlestop profiles a lot. I have one profile for 4.7ghz and one profile for 3.8ghz. The 3.8ghz temps are generally almost 10C lower than the 4.7ghz profile, especially with under volting. What I've found, playing Cyberpunk 2077, Dishonored 2, Greedfall and a lot of other games is that there is hardly any difference in FPS when playing at 3.8ghz than when playing at 5ghz; I mean it's not even noticeable and the temps are WAY lower at 3.8ghz.

So if temps are bugging you when gaming, don't worry about having a max'd out CPU clock speed at all. It really doesn't make much of a difference.

I just did a quick test using the Horizon Zero Dawn built in benchmark routine on HIGH settings, 1080p room ambient of 23C ... I ran it at 5ghz and then 3.8ghz and here's the differences:

5.0ghz: 85C to 95C - 114fps average
    3.8ghz: 63C to 65C - 108fps average

Personally, I prefer taking the 6fps hit running at 3.8ghz when gaming and dropping my load temps by 20C, which is massive and will go a long way towards extending the life of the hardware.

That being said, should I edit/render video, process images in photoshop or other math/CPU intensive tasks, I simply right click the throttle stop tray icon and enable the 4.7ghz profile as clock speed truly does make a big difference in these productivity type applications.

Might be old news but thought I'd mention ...

~s1rrah

10. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

the problem comes from awcc and not from windows, I think they will fix the problem with the next update!

Normimb likes this.