*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 9, 2020.

1. c0ach

c0ach Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's too bad :(

2. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    for info 120hz screen works at 60hz with the new nvidia driver, I reported it to nvidia but it's as if we hadn't said anything !

c0ach likes this.
  3. c0ach

c0ach Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Let's hope Dell comes with a BIOS update to support 11th gen CPUs :)

Fingers crossed

Thanks for the info!

Normimb likes this.
  4. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    we could know the version of the bios that you used to test the cpu?

c0ach likes this.
  5. RoDexter81

RoDexter81 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys and Alienware users. I`m having a problem with my Area51m-R2 Cardreader module. I`ve recently used an SD CARD adapter and a microsd card, and the SD Adapter Broke 2 or 3 pins inside my cardreader! Can anyone help me in fiding a replacement board module.
    I`ve contacted Dell Support using the Whatsapp channel but they told me that the SD Card Reader Module Board dosen`t sell as an spare or part like brackets or 2.5 SATA3 to dual M.2 NVME boards.

If you need aditional info please contact me using private message or post here an i will reply shortly.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

THANKS and KUDOS!!!

c0ach likes this.
  6. Darklon94

Darklon94 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ehi guys, I have bought the Area 51m r2, which has the 1.7.0 bios. Should I update it?? Or better to keep this one?

RoDexter81 likes this.
  7. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nothing much changed between 1.7.0 and 1.9.0 just security fixes. I wouldn't bother.

RoDexter81, c0ach and Papusan like this.
  8. Enkidu78

Enkidu78 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've done it, I waited for ages but I finally bought the Area 51m r2

Specs..

I9 10900k
    16GB 3200Mhz (I now wished I didn't do this upgrade and bought the Crucial 32GB upgrade with lower latency)
    300hz screen
    2080 Super
    Basic drives, I will put a couple of Samsungs in there Raid 0 and a 2TB SSD.

I kept reading about the 3080's being limited to 150 Watt and didn't want a small thin laptop with screaming fans and power balancing. I wanted a device that I could use on TV (LG OLED 120Hz), at my desk with monitor or on my lap if required, I hope I made the right choice, im planning on selling my old laptop and desktop and just having the one device.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    RoDexter81 likes this.
  9. capitaojr

capitaojr Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been playing Genshin Impact in 4k resolution (max/Full setting) with an external LG TV also 4k for at least 9 months but this week my Alienware Area 51M R2 lost HDMI signal with TV many times a day. I have to turn off the Alienware for at least 20 minutes and turn on to have HDMI signal again so i believe the problem is "overheating". I do not have any other 4K tv to confirm if the problem is the notebook or the external TV but somehow I decide to test something else. As soon my notebook loses HDMI signal, I unplug the cable from notebook and plug it on my Playstation 5 and the TV shows the image just fine. After that I unplugged the cable from Playstation and plug it back to the notebook, no image at all - I still have to turn off the notebook and wait 20 minutes to cooldown. I checked the temperature and the range is CPU (70~90 C/158~194F) and GPU (45-65/113~149F) before it lost the HDMI signal. I want to change the thermal paste from GPU and CPU to test it out but since notebook is under warranty, I believe I should contact Dell first. I am searching if someone else had the same problem with HDMI losing signal when overheating.

10. Enkidu78

Enkidu78 Newbie

Reputations:
    I wanted to play at 4k as well but these laptops are only hdmi 2.0, I looked into it and I would have chosen 1440p as you should be able to do 120hz on that standard.

I used repair computers for a living, I would say it's must be over heating, really if should be a Dell warranty job. What's the VRM temp? You can download software to give you all that info. Have you tried under volt the CPU and GPU as well?